General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

reading codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 02:51 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default reading codes

can some one please explain to me how you read codes on a '92 mustang sense i dont have an obd2 port.
thanks
Old 02-27-2005, 01:40 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: reading codes

no one knows.......
Old 02-27-2005, 02:06 AM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

you have a port under the hood. SHould be labled. I do not know of a way to jump the connector like a GM to flash codes but there might be. I'm not a ford guy but I have scanned plenty of fords with actual diagnostic eqiupment... I "belive" that a scanner is the only way to ascces all 3 code sources. Someone else can verify.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:35 AM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

well i have done a few fords without a code reader. You just need a jumper wire to short it out. I followed the manuals to do it on mine and dont know about your stang, its pretty easy though. Once you put the wire in the right hole in the port, you put the other end of the wire on a screw or anything that is a ground.\

You then turn your key on but not start and count the flashes on the "check engine light" your book will tell you how many flashes mean what. So many flashes then a pause.

Ex flash, flash, flash,,,,,,flash, flash,,,,,,,flash is code 321

This test is the KOEO (key on engine off)
Old 02-27-2005, 01:04 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

I was wondering if you could do that. But the bad part is you probably get no Memory codes or KOER codes.

you can use this method. http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
Old 02-27-2005, 11:22 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ok that sounds not to bad.
where is the wire harness they are talking about?
where is the test connector?
how much is a test light? is that just that thing that you use to check for live wires right?

oh ya, the light doesnt stay on all the time. its mostly on under light excelleration when the engine is cold and especially when its really cold outside....whats that sound like to you guys?
thanks
Old 02-28-2005, 12:15 AM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

sounds like an EGR or 02 fault to me..

but yeah, thats the light. It costs around 10-15 bucks at autozone. The connector is usualy near either of the shock towers or firewall. Sometimes near the fuseboxes. It's usualy covered with a black plasic cover and labled as EEC or similar
Old 02-28-2005, 01:44 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i found the wire harness no problem but i have no idea what the other thing is or where it is. anybody with a picture of it? sorry im a visual learner[:@]
Old 02-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

Ok so you found the port under your hood where you have to plug in the instrument? On my 95 f150 i have a code reader i bought at walmart for $20, didnt even need it, it works great but could of done it for free by using an insulated wire about a foot long.

Do you have a manual for your car, ex chiltons, haynes? If not i would pick one up. They are cheap and will tell you how to do it better than i can tell you cause i have never done it on a stang even though it should be similiar. It will have your pictures of it to that you are looking for. I thought all you Americans can get your codes pulled for free at autozone? Why not try that?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:20 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i tried autozone and they told me they wouldnt do it cause its a 92 and there is no obd2 port on it. i have a haynes manual but cant find it....guess i have to keep looking. i found the port thing but cant find the harness i have to jump it to

Quick Reply: reading codes