General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Belt squeeling........ i'm pissed

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:05 PM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Belt squeeling........ i'm pissed

[:@] i dont get it every time i turn on the car the belts make a god awful high pitched squeeling. i cant tell if its from my accesory belt or the supercharger belt. i went down and tightened the alternator on the bracket cause it felt pretty loose, and turned it over. the squeeling still there. it hasnt always done this. it pisses me off, cause when i start it i have to sit there for like 60 or so seconds then it just stops. and it is soooooooo loud. i fuc*in hate it. where should i start? i tried putting on belt lube and that didnt help.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Belt squeeling........ i'm pissed

ORIGINAL: StangTangGT

[:@] i dont get it every time i turn on the car the belts make a god awful high pitched squeeling. i cant tell if its from my accesory belt or the supercharger belt. i went down and tightened the alternator on the bracket cause it felt pretty loose, and turned it over. the squeeling still there. it hasnt always done this. it pisses me off, cause when i start it i have to sit there for like 60 or so seconds then it just stops. and it is soooooooo loud. i fuc*in hate it. where should i start? i tried putting on belt lube and that didnt help.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:54 PM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

whats that about?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How old is the belt? Anything over 2 years with a supercharger (gets hot under the hood) I would replace. The squealing is caused by one of two things. Loose belt so it's slipping until it warms up and grabs or a belt that is worn out.

Check the tension on the belt by pushing your thumb down on it. It shouldn't go down more than 1/4". Anything more, you need to retension it or replace the automatic tensioner if it has one.

Check the age by checking out the gloss of it. If the belts really glossy looking or has cracks in the V or ribs(serpentine) Then it's time to replace it. You can try some 'Belt-ease' from the auto parts store for like $2 bucks and spray that on it. It's a band-aid fix at best but will get rid of the squeal until you get a chance to replace it.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

whats that about?
Hit the wrong button the first time...[&:]
Old 03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

ill probly try the belt ease stuff but i cant get it any tighter, and i didnt notice anything wrong with the belt with cracks and such.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You might also want to make sure the belt is aligned properly. Not sure how your year alternator is mounted, but it's possible on some cars to tighten the alternator at a slightly 'off' angle especially considering you've got it 'as tight as it will go'. If the belt is new looking and the belt ease works then good. You're done.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:55 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

Just because the belt doesn't look bad desnt mean that it isn't. You could have it too tight as well. you might also havea dry bearing such as an idler pully. Another pssobility is moisture on the belt from a leaking water pump or even morning dew. Belt dresing isn't going to solve anything.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:39 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

I would replace the belts. You have a tensioner on the accesory belt right? Or you could take the belt off the super charger and see if it was that belt.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:12 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

why not remove the accessory belt and start the car without it and see if the squeal goes away. if it does, than you know it's something associated with that belt and not the supercharger belt. if it don't go away, then the supercharger belt is where the noise is coming from. and you shouldn't run the belts "tight as I can get them" either as this just puts extra strain on the bearings in all the accesories like the alternator and water pump, etc. which could be the source of the squealing noise also.

Quick Reply: Belt squeeling........ i'm pissed