General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Timing Adjuster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
03SilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Timing Adjuster?

I got the steeda one for my car and advanced it to 14 degrees never had any problems what so ever. I would send it back and get another one, The magnetic pick up might be off on you adjuster causing it to advance it to much. Send it back if you can and get another one or a diff brand.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:27 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

When you installed the timing adjuster, did you get the gap between the timing wheel and the crank sensor just right. If not then that will cause your engine to surge in any gear reguardless of what the timing is set at. Check the clearance between the end of the crankshaft position sensor and the Timing Wheel with a feeler gauge . The gap should be between 0.012 and 0.080 inches. If it falls outside of this range, remove the Sensor Bracket, Adjuster Hub and Timing Wheel to check for dirt which could cause the parts to be out of alignment and then reinstall them. If this fails to correct the problem then contact the people you bought it from. They should send you a new one.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:09 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

i think i might have found the problem..my dad took my car one day and filled it up with regular unleaded...so im pretty sure thats what it it the feeler gauage is right and everything seems right. So it should be that. I filled it up with 93 yesterday but i havent tried it yet because it has been raining. Thanks for all yalls help.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:43 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Good deal, man. I hope that all it was. Fill it with some octane boost and that should be that for that tank of gas.

Usually though when you fill it with the wrong octane you get intake detonation. I dont think that should make the engine surge but you will see some performanc loss.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:28 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

tried the super (93) and still doing the same thing. Ive tried adjusting it and putting it closer to the wheel i just cant figure it out. Like i said it only does it in 4 and 5 th gear. Idle is fine. When i get on it the car rpms look like they lag on the tach. it looks wierd. I think im just gonna take it off today.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:13 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Send it back and get a Steeda. I had no problems out of mine at all. I personally dont like MAC. I have their LT headers and the collectors are starting to rust... I have their 70mm TB and the car idles wrong and the ECU cant correst it and you are having this problem with their timing adjuster. Something about their products just isnt right.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:52 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

i called mac and they had no idea what i was talking about, i told him i had it at 14 degrees and he freaked out what 14 degrees you should have it on 4 ...well yeah dumb-ss your timing adjuster starts on 0 and i put it on 4 meaning 14 degrees. I dont know they said they would call me back but now response.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 66_mustang_04

the check engine light just blinks when i drive
If it's blinking, that's a usually a sign of a serious misfire or knock, it will continue to blink so long as the misfire/knock is there. Have you scanned the computer yet to see if it's got anything it's waiting to throw a permanent check-engine light on for?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:45 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

took the timing adjuster off and guess what? my car runs fine now, maybe it was a faulty timing adjuter or maybe it was my part but let me tell i read those intstructions and adjusted many times. Im going to trying to get another one but i have to find one that works with piggyback pullies.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:57 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Piggyback pulleys!!! [:'(][:'(][:'(]

You need to do the Steeda Experience!!!

Quick Reply: Timing Adjuster?