General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 gt front suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 04:12 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

Default 89 gt front suspension question

ok here goes my first stupid question. im wanting to do some replacing/upgrading on my suspension and other items in the area. im planning on replacing springs, struts, balljoints(whole a arms), and tie rod ends. well here comes the supid question(s).
1. while im changing all of this is there any other recomendations of items i should upgrade or add while im at it? sway bars or anything like that? mabey replace the steering gear?
2. any recomendations on brands? reasonable priced?

i just need something that will be safe, help with control, and add a little fun to the car. this mustang wont be a racer, i mean ill take an occasional trip down the local airport runway, but mostly be for a daily driver. i do want to be able to corner good, have great grip and so on. i would love to do the coil over option, but its a little pricey and seems more like something that would be an advantage for drag cars.

i plan on doing alot of mods to this car over time. the engine has allready had alot of work done to it. im still trying to figure out what all has been done to it before i do anything.

thanks for any help

Old 03-06-2005, 07:16 PM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 89 gt front suspension question

First since you have a vert you will need to install a full-length subframe connector. This will prevent chassis flex. If you plan on drag racing the car you will need
drag springs ( Eibach, Steeda etc). Also a good set of drag shocks like Lakewood, QA1. The idea is you will want the car to transfer the weight on launch so you also
will need lower control arms like ( Maximum Motorsports, Southside etc). And down the road you can also install a set of gears 4:10's or 4:30's depending on what
tranny you will run. That should be a start.

Matt
Old 03-06-2005, 08:51 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

thanks for the reply. it helped me out.
i was looking at the maximum motorsports subframe connectors MMFL-2B. im also wanting to get a few other "braces" for the car.
on springs i was looking at the 555-8200 sport set. i would go with the -8230 drag springs, but not sure if they would work fine for an every day driver. i wont be doing any real drag racing. about once a year my airport opens its runway for people to play.

im tossing the idea of going ahead and ordering one of the kits from maximum motorsports to get everything in one package. i just dont know which one would be best. im learning though so mabey i can figure it out. i want to build this right. im taking my time making sure that i am getting what i need.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:08 PM
jpc
2nd Gear Member

I have an 89GT ragtop also, I went with factory five, upper and lower control arms, ford motosport B springs, kyb struts and shocks, subframe connectors,Maximum motorsports lower K brace and strut tower brace(my biggest improvement was with this strut tower brace) Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and urethane sway bar bushings and end links, I was gioing after improvements that would'nt break my bank account and help the overall handling of the soft ragtop suspension, All I can say, the difference was night and day I now have a decent handling car, that rides stiffer but not to harse for everyday driving.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:26 PM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

Yes other braces will work good as well. The Strut tower brace, k-member brace. I am looking at a rear shock tower brace
for my stang know. If you have anymore questions I can help.

Matt
Old 03-06-2005, 09:43 PM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

Go with on company when doing suspension. If you understand how suspension works your able to tune your setup
for the streets and track. I am still tuning it right know.
My suspension mods:

Kenny Brown 580lb/in front springs
H&R Sport 250lb/in rear springs
Kenny Brown strut tower brace,
k-member brace
GT front and rear sway bars over stock V6
GRC Performance full-length subframe connectors
Koni race valved strut and shocks
Maximum Motorsports lower control arms,
aluminum rack bushings, spherical bearing bushings
Energy Polyurethane sway bar, and spring isolators

Future mods;
Rear shock tower brace
Panhard Bar
End-link kit
Old 03-08-2005, 01:26 PM
BOSSMAN

I would also install a roll bar.....Did so on my 86 GT convertible I had car felt very stiff afterwards....