General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 Mach 1 or 07 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Captain J

Default 03 Mach 1 or 07 GT?

Have to get a new car tomorrow because my wife is getting one and am going to get a Mustang. I have had a CVPI for some time and done lots of mods on the 4.6 so no questions about that.

I have two choices. A new 07 GT or a used 03 Mach 1 with about 30k on it. I like the Mach 1 but mainly because of the power and sound. Well, I am not sure about the more power but it sounds cool and I like the shaker hood scoop/CAI set up.

I am having a hard time getting over the fact that the Mach 1 is the old body style. I like the new look and do not want to get something dated that is not a collectible but a daily driver.

I am thinking I can find a shaker hood set up and have the dealer cut a holein the hood and install it for me. (The install is likely very easy but I am not cutting into the hood of a brand new car on my own.) A pr of flow masters and a SCT tune and presto! Same cool factor. Or not?

What do you guys think? The cheaper 03 Mach 1 or a New 07 GT?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 03 Mach 1 or 07 GT?

sounds like you already have your mind made up with the 07. i'd get the mach for the 4v and i dont really like the new body personally.

the whole ram air thing is overrated and i dont like it really. adds little to no power and collectsfun stuff that shouldnt be going through your intake.

if price is an issue have you found anyused 05's?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Captain J

I see you have the Mach 1! What are we talking about when it comes to power and mods for the Mach 1? I am only looking on doing small mods like the tune, some UD's, CAI, 3:55 (if it doesn't already have them), and just some flow masters.

Yes they have an 05. Do I want it? I did no research! (My bad)
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

Myself I would get the Mach but thats only becuase im not fond of the new body style, as per performance between the 2 they are both very simular stock vs stock. The 3 valve motors respond very well to mods and a good tune.
I agree with the above post that it already sounds like you have made up your mind, If you like the newer body style I would go with the 05+ GT as you dont want to regret your desicion later.
As for the shaker again I agree with the above statement, they add very little to performance, If i remember right they don't even begin to add any benifit to performance till over 70 mph.
its more of an appearance thing.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Stock Mach 1's run low 13's, 05+ GT's run mid 13's at best. You can gain 30hp from an intake and a tune on a 05+ GT. Intake, tune, UDP's, CMDP; you'll be up ~45-50hp.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Captain J

I do like the Mach 1 but it is just the body style I have to get over. I like the old body style just fine. I just like the new one a little better. But, the Mach 1 has a more exotic engine and also has the cool factor of being a Mach. I am confused but all the feedback is helping! I am going to put my decision off until tomorrow. I keeping bouncing back and forth on this.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Captain J

I do like the Mach 1 but it is just the body style I have to get over. I like the old body style just fine. I just like the new one a little better. But, the Mach 1 has a more exotic engine and also has the cool factor of being a Mach. I am confused but all the feedback is helping! I am going to put my decision off until tomorrow. I keeping bouncing back and forth on this.

Why don't you go test drive them both?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Captain J

I did. They handle about the same in SNOW. (That was no help). The Mach 1 sounds cooler but that is something that either can have. The Mach has 5 more hp so that is no longer an issue.
It cost less and is more exotic then a plane old GT. However they had a Shelby in the show room as well.... However that is not a daily driver in Wisconsin.
I just like both but the Mach 1 is a Mach 1. The GT is a GT and they arr a dime a doz. However, you and mod the hell out of any mustang and make it look and perform the way you want. (SEE HOW MESSED UP I AM!)
I guess I am looking for some advice and opinions on what mustang owners like you think.

No mater what I get I will be having that tough looking shaker hood, some nice sounding mufflers (stock pipes), UD's, CAI,and a SCT XCAL2 tune. (What is a CMDP? I am not familiar with that acronym. If it is just the phylum I will probably bypass that because I am not convinced it dose anything). I know the shaker and mufflers have no performance value but I like them.
FYI You guys ARE helping.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Captain J

I did. They handle about the same in SNOW. (That was no help). The Mach 1 sounds cooler but that is something that either can have. The Mach has 5 more hp so that is no longer an issue.
It cost less and is more exotic then a plane old GT. However they had a Shelby in the show room as well.... However that is not a daily driver in Wisconsin.
I just like both but the Mach 1 is a Mach 1. The GT is a GT and they arr a dime a doz. However, you and mod the hell out of any mustang and make it look and perform the way you want. (SEE HOW MESSED UP I AM!)
I guess I am looking for some advice and opinions on what mustang owners like you think.

No mater what I get I will be having that tough looking shaker hood, some nice sounding mufflers (stock pipes), UD's, CAI,and a SCT XCAL2 tune. (What is a CMDP? I am not familiar with that acronym. If it is just the phylum I will probably bypass that because I am not convinced it dose anything). I know the shaker and mufflers have no performance value but I like them.
FYI You guys ARE helping.
CMDP = Charge Motion Delete Plates, also known as CMCV, IMRC, etc.

What is the cost of both cars?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Quick Reply: 03 Mach 1 or 07 GT?