General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

accelerator pedal stuck full open/to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:55 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Default accelerator pedal stuck full open/to the floor

Hello Gang,
I did search for something that might be related or the exact problem, but got nothing.
I really hope someone can help us out here.
We have a local Mustang club in my area, and a couple of months back one of our members asked if anyone has had problems with their gas foot pedal staying wide open to the floor. I guess it nearly caused him to have an accident, but he was able to keep in under control due to that he was on the interstate.
Well today it happend to me. I was at a stop sign, and thought I would show my neighbor the power that this car has, so I did a little power braking to get some smoke and then let it go. I usually will let the tires spin for just a small amount of time before I let up, but this time the foot pedal would not come back. I was coming up on a mail truck by the time we got to the end of the block, so I put it in neutral and that scared the crap out of me when the engine and supercharger hit full open, so then I put it back in Drive. I hit the pedal hard a couple of times and it let go and came back up. Now I do not know if hitting the pedal with my foot a couple of times made a difference or if it let go by other means. But what I do know is that I can not let my wife or daughter drive this car until I find the problem and get it fixed. We thought it was a isolated problem with the first member having problems, but since then it has happend twice to him and now once to me.
Can anyone relate to this experience, or heard of it happening to anyone else? Any help that you all can give us will be greatly appeciated. I will make an appointment to the dealership after the holidays and when they are open.

Thank you all for your help and Have a Wonderful Holiday Season..........................

Casper
Old 12-24-2007, 08:07 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: accelerator pedal stuck full open/to the floor

what year is it? check your throttle body, throttle cable and the accelerator pedal to make sure nothing is sticking. i'd check the pedal first, since it's probably the easiest... then make sure your TB isn't sticking, if both of those seem fine, pull your throttle cable and get a new one, or lube it up and make sure it isn't sticking. i can't imagine it would be too hard to locate the problem of a sticking pedal...
good luch though
Old 12-24-2007, 08:12 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Check that carpet isnt catching the pedal.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 AM
jjgt07
1st Gear Member

hi, i have a brand new 07 gt and i was comeing off the 4 lane and i had my trottle stick too,i had to go on the shoulder cause i had a car in front of me and went buy him on the right comeing on a ramp with a stop light on the end. talk about scarry!!! just barely got things under control by the time i hit the red light, it was close!! i dont know why my trottle stuck but it did and dam near had a bad accident. thanks jj
Old 12-25-2007, 12:27 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

aren't the new gt's drive by wire? as in no throttle cable?
that sounds like something you need to go to the dealer for...
does the pedal actually get stuck? or is the pedal up and the car keeps accelerating?
that's weird. stupid new technology. LOL
Old 12-25-2007, 12:30 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Ther is TSB for gas pedal sticking on the carpet.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:12 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Thank you all for your help. Thank you Frostbyte for the word on the Recall. I looked at first for it in the TSB's, but I actually found it in the recall's. Either way you sent me to the right place. I tried to get the pedal to stick on purpose with many tries, but I could not get it to stick. But I can see where it might with all factors favoring that situation. My pedal does drag the carpet when fully pressed to the floor, but after trying many times to get it to stick, I could not get it too. I will definitely let the dealership look it over and get it on the papers etc. And I will be watching for it to possibly happen for some time now.
I am sorry for the bad information on my first post. I am driving a 2007 Mustang GT Premium with an automatic tranny and recently installed Saleen 475 hp Supercharger and 4:10 gears, Mac axle back exhaust, Nitto 555 285/40/18 in the rear, and Nitto 555 255/45/18 in the front, all on GT500 Wheels. I do love my car. One thing that I am confused on though is that before I installed the SC, I ran a C&L CAI and tune from Brenspeed. And I would like to run my cone filter, but I am being told that I should not. Is it because of the MAF housing is not correct size? Right now I am running my original air box with the new Saleen cover and the bottom of the box cut out. This was done by the installer. Any comments on this setup?????
Thank you in advance for any help you all can offer me.

Thanks,
Casper
Old 12-25-2007, 08:46 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

Check that carpet isnt catching the pedal.
+1. or your return spring is hanging up on something
Old 12-29-2007, 11:12 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Well I got my car back on Friday from the dealership and they said they did everything they could think of to get the pedal to stick to the floor, but had no luck. They did an evaluation on the car and could not find anything, including the possibility of sticking on the carpet some how, and still no luck. The recall on the aboveposting did not apply to our 05 - 07 cars, it is for the cobra. Our floor carpeting is not the same mold as the ones with the recall. There is no way the pedal could stick due to the carpet in our cars, for there is no depressions or moldings in the carpet that it could possibly get stuck on. So now there are three of us that this has happend to, JJGT07, Casper, and Dennis Baker, a member of our local Arizona Club. I pray that this does not happen to anyone else. I have a supercharger on my Mustang and when it did wind up at full acceleration and stayed there, I can tell you it was not very fun. I was in a residential area as well. I am just glad that my wife or daughter was not driving it at the time. Please post any other sticking pedal situations on this thread if you hear of any or if it happens to you. The more we have to go before the Ford Company the better. Stay SAFE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Casper
Old 01-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Jwood

My 2009 mustang gas pedal got stuck pullin out of a gas station and i had 2 put it in neutral to slow it dwn after a few seconds it pop back up .scared me to death. Im just glad my daughter wasn't with me

Quick Reply: accelerator pedal stuck full open/to the floor