General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical Question with Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 AM
Sickspackstang
3rd Gear Member

Default Electrical Question with Air Bags

My fuse for my air bags (10amp) keeps blowing out as soon as i put a new fuse in. if i try to put a 30amp fuse in, as soon as the metals touch the fuse begins to melt kinda. what could be the problem? i have a 1998 mustang v6.

also where is the cig lighter fuse located? i cant find it...

thanks in advance
Old 12-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Electrical Question with Air Bags

You have a dead short to ground somewhere.Trying a thirty amp fuse will eventually find the short by setting fire to the wiring harness,just look for the place where the fire seemed to have done the most damage and you will have found the location of the short.

There is a short finder sold by J.C. Whitney that you hook to the wiring harness and wave a sensor around the wiring harness.The sensor picks up magnetic signals and can find the short even inside the frame or car body.I,ve never used one but I have heard they work.I think they cost about $20 but don't hold me to it.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 AM
99_GT
1st Gear Member

1998 V6
The fuse for the Cig Lighter is in the engine compartment fuse box. 30A Fuse.
Fuse #4, 10 Amp,feeds the airbag monitor, and Fuse #15 10 Amp, also feeds the airbag monitor.I would look into unpluging each circuitat the airbag monitor, and see if the short clears up. I have never messed with airbags, so make sureit issafe to do this test.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Chopper

You have a dead short to ground somewhere.Trying a thirty amp fuse will eventually find the short by setting fire to the wiring harness,just look for the place where the fire seemed to have done the most damage and you will have found the location of the short.

There is a short finder sold by J.C. Whitney that you hook to the wiring harness and wave a sensor around the wiring harness.The sensor picks up magnetic signals and can find the short even inside the frame or car body.I,ve never used one but I have heard they work.I think they cost about $20 but don't hold me to it.
That's sarcasm right?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Sickspackstang
3rd Gear Member

You have a dead short to ground somewhere.

thats what i thought it meant, but how can i have a dead if ive never cut a wire to the air bags. the only air bag i ever removed was from the steering wheel and i put everything back the way i found it. i even went over the lines from the fuse panel box to the steering wheel and couldnt find anything loose or damaged.

as far as the cig lighter, i swapped the 30a in the underhood and they arent working as well....
Old 01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Sickspackstang
3rd Gear Member

anyone?