General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First few moves!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 02:23 AM
87GTHO
2nd Gear Member

Default First few moves!

Well, Im just about to pull the stang out of the garage, hopefully spring will burst through up here in Ont soon. I am Starting small this year, and hopefully will work my way up. Plan on tinting the windows and getting the cold air and such, the basic stuff. So starting off with a stock engine bay (5.0)118Km , what would be everyones first few moves, either to enhance the hp, or just make it more efficent. Iv heard of eliminating the ac , which i wouldnt have a prob with , cuz mine doesnt work anyway haha. Also heard alot about underdrive pullys. I dont know where to start! Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully in a few years ill be the one giving the advice , helping out the new guy!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:54 AM
za3879

Default RE: First few moves!

I'm also in the same boat...ready to pull out my 94GT and starting out small with the air intake and blah blah blah.
i have 155k on mine, but the car still runs mint. im up for any suggestions too

Old 03-25-2005, 04:15 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

GEARS!! and full exhaust. if your ac is shot, junk it
Old 03-25-2005, 04:43 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

well start with the easy stuff, such as a CAI, and full exhaust and a shifter, then go with a set of gears
Old 03-25-2005, 03:34 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

equal length shorty headers, 1-5/8" along with an off road H-pipe and a 2.5" cat back exhaust with free flowing mufflers is a good first step. then go for some new rear gears along with a new or rebuilt traction lok differential.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:10 PM
87GTHO
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good guys, iv already got the 3.73 gears in the rear, and the stock H pipe. Are the off road X pipes better the then H pipe. Also iv been looking at shifters, i found a blu thunder shifter for about 149 canadian, or the pro shifter 5.0 for about 100 more , is it worth the 100 more for the better name brand.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:59 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

im guessing your in canada right, where are you shopping? do you know of any good online canadian stores? change out the whole exhaust, from headers to tips, get the blu thunder shifter and some underdrive pulleys, delete the ac, the smog pump, air silencer, and then get a k$n filter for the box. next a bigger TB and MAF = very good running 5.0
Old 03-25-2005, 06:01 PM
87GTHO
2nd Gear Member

Alright, iv got a game plan in place, im gonna get and underdrive pully kit, blu thunder shifter, k&n cold air, remove the smog, remove the air silencer, get a tanny rebuild kit ( i have a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd) . To delete the ac is it easier to buy the kit, or just rip it out and go with the flow, and also i have no clue what the TB and MAF are.

Ya im in southern Ont, as for online stores im looking at driverfx.ca mustangtoystore.com and themustangshop.ca . Thoes are 3 that i have found in canada that seem to be resonable and offer some decent parts.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

It depends how much work you are willing to do. Exhaust can be a bit labor intensive, but the easy stuff, like cold air, new maf/tb, ac/smog eliminator (or smaller belt, and other stuff like that can give good gains with out taking too long.

Also look into MSD ignition for you cars. I think that will be my next move, and from what everyone else has said, MSD is worth its weight in gold. It will give a relativly small gain in hp, but its an excellant ignition to base a beast of a car on. Engine also becomes more efficient and stable.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:24 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

just realized you have an 87, doesnt have MAF til 89 so forget that, but a throttle body is on the side of your intake manifold, it attatches to you air intake pipe

Quick Reply: First few moves!