General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

homemade AFR meter

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

Default RE: homemade AFR meter

I'm glad all the moderators are as useful as you are... I ask a simple question and I get a lecture on why I don't need by one and called a crybaby by another...

Mabe I should just stick to the classics forum where grandpa gripes about people wanting to put custom mats in his trunk instead of the plaid one.. At least that makes sense.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:00 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that link, totally awesome. I wanted it so that when I get my exhaust made for my stang I'll include the bungs, and when I tune it I can use the meter and then remove the o2 sensors and plug it up when I'm done. I have a few projects going on so that will definitely be useful. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:54 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TBIAgent69

I'm sorry.. I thought I was asking a question I could get a useful answer to. Mabe I should try somewhere else.
^^^^^ Why did you respond to him like an A**hole? He gave you some advice on when and why you would need one, You did not explane why you exicatly wanted to build one and what you were going to use it for. I believe that all you had to do was explane a little more what you were going to use it for you would have not sounded like a A**. This is JMO and I think that most everybody on here will think the same way, If you don't like the first answer you get you don't need to be a dick about it, either respond and explane it more, or sit back and wait for another answer, we are all just trying to save you some headachs and maybe money, form someone that has been there and done that. [sm=rant.gif]
Old 03-30-2005, 05:04 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

ok.. so, what exactly are you going to use your new handy dandy gauge for?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:44 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

vfast is gettin busy at this moment will be back later, Mrs. V. Fast
Old 03-31-2005, 02:44 AM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

hey FOX... our o2 sensors have something like 2 or 4 wires comming from them... any idea which one we would tap into??
Old 03-31-2005, 12:46 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

I responded like an 'a**' because it's a waste of time for me to ask a question that all I'm looking for is a straight answer to, only to read a post full of rhetoric on why I don't need it, even though the person has no idea what I'm running, what I'm doing, or what I'm planning on doing.

I responded like an 'a**' because I only get 30 minutes to use the internet and it's a waste of my time at 2k a second to have to read some bs answer like that. Furthermore, why waste a post if it's not going to say anything answering the person's question. I didn't ask if I needed one, I didn't ask under what circumstances I'd need one, or what people thought... if I remember correctly I asked how to make one. It'd be like someone asking if Flowmaster 40's are worth the money, and someone posting "Well, you don't need them unless you have aftermarket heads and a hot cam" Does that help? Does that produce anything?

And BTW, I find the word d**k more offensive than the word a**, so mabe you should asterick that next time too.

I'm not usually rude or anything, it's just my pet peeve when people ask a simple question and all they get in return is opinions and no answers. Many, many thanks to the person who did give me the answer, if I can return the favor one day I definitely will (I doubt that I'd know more than you would though)

ORIGINAL: DIVER8374

ORIGINAL: TBIAgent69

I'm sorry.. I thought I was asking a question I could get a useful answer to. Mabe I should try somewhere else.
^^^^^ Why did you respond to him like an A**hole? He gave you some advice on when and why you would need one, You did not explane why you exicatly wanted to build one and what you were going to use it for. I believe that all you had to do was explane a little more what you were going to use it for you would have not sounded like a A**. This is JMO and I think that most everybody on here will think the same way, If you don't like the first answer you get you don't need to be a dick about it, either respond and explane it more, or sit back and wait for another answer, we are all just trying to save you some headachs and maybe money, form someone that has been there and done that. [sm=rant.gif]
Old 03-31-2005, 03:24 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

so I say again.. what are you paning to use this gauge for? If you have a stock car and want to read your AF ratio.. THIS WILL NOT WORK. if you have a modded car and want to rear your AF ratio.. THIS WILL NOT WORK. If you have a really modded car and want to use the AF readings in effort to tune the PCM.. THIS WILL NOT WORK. I fail to understand why you do not get this. the ONLY atual way to obtain a correct air/fuel RATIO is with a wide band controler. That is it. no if's and's or butts. If you want a pretty light show then this is perfect for you. if you want something that will aid in tuning or give you an acurate reading then you need wide band.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:43 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

This link may be very helpful for someone concerning A/F ratio and wide band controllers. They claim you can build your own WB controller, and they will even sell you the parts cheaply I might ad, very interesting.

http://www.diy-wb.com/
Old 04-01-2005, 11:49 AM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

So what you're saying basically is that a one wire o2 sensor doesn't read the air fuel ratio? That sounds like a pretty ignorant statement, considering the amount of fuel injected vehicles out there running them. In case you didn't know, an o2 sensor measures the air fuel ratio and creates voltage based off that reading. That voltage is sent to the computer (or display) which interprets the data. I guess there's no answer to give you that will make sense since you fail to understand, as you say...

I'm not running a fuel injected car, so I'm not using it to tune my pcm since I don't have one. All I want is a simple tool to use in tuning the carb to make sure the car is running within safe limits once I get everything together. A mechanic friend of mine uses a volt meter to determine what the afr is by connecting it to the lead from the sensor, so if he's a toyota certified master mechanic, he must know what he's doing, but I guess he must be wrong since you're a fourth gear member...

ORIGINAL: 96SilverLT1

so I say again.. what are you paning to use this gauge for? If you have a stock car and want to read your AF ratio.. THIS WILL NOT WORK. if you have a modded car and want to rear your AF ratio.. THIS WILL NOT WORK. If you have a really modded car and want to use the AF readings in effort to tune the PCM.. THIS WILL NOT WORK. I fail to understand why you do not get this. the ONLY atual way to obtain a correct air/fuel RATIO is with a wide band controler. That is it. no if's and's or butts. If you want a pretty light show then this is perfect for you. if you want something that will aid in tuning or give you an acurate reading then you need wide band.

Quick Reply: homemade AFR meter