General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertables: Pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:34 PM
CanuckGame
1st Gear Member

Default Convertables: Pros and cons

hey guys i just bought a 2002 Convertable but ive heard some bad things and good things

is there anything to be worried about? this is my first car and im a little worried, ive heard they leak, and ive heard that its VERY common for people to slash the top of them.

what do you guys think? any advice is appriciated

also im looking into getting a good sound system, is it true that the sound REALLY sucks in converts? i hope not cause music is the best going down a highway in a car... if the quality of the sound does go down whats the best way to still get the best out of your system
Old 01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Convertables: Pros and cons

'02 vert Stang is the BEST car ever made!!![8D][8D][8D]

Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM
CanuckGame
1st Gear Member

haha ok that makes me feel better, thanks

but still can you answet some of the questions

-is it easyer to get into my car and steal it and bypass the alarm since its soft top?
-does the sound system suck in a vert?
-does water leak in?

thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 05:51 PM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

you can make the system work. if you put subs in the trunk though you will have trouble making a bix big enough. i custom made mine and it ended up sounding really good though. get some nice speakers and sound is just fine. people do cut tops, very rarely though. mustangs also have rods that go under the convertible tops and would make it hard to get through. then you also have the interior silencer and the top. as far as leaks yes it is very common. normally the bottom corners of the window start to leak. it wont usually do much damage as there is a water cather back there but you will need to watch for it. you can read a lot of threads on here about leaks and how to deal with them. i had a leak and i just took some gasket maker and sealed it back up. looked good as new and didnt leak anymore. other than that have fun with it, its a great car if you take care of it
Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Be Rad 13
1st Gear Member

Convertiblesdo have a couple of minor draw backs, but the top down driving in the summer definitely makes up for it!! Don't worry about it, you made a sweet choice.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

-its just as quick for a crook to bust a window as it is to rip the top so,, not really a problem. I do worry though, more about vandals that might go & rip a hole in the top just for spite, or is that jealousy because *they* don't have a vert? So I carry a roll of black duct tape in the trunk. but haven't needed it so far

As for music,, I'm gonna build a sub box that fits in the back seat [8D] with quick release connections so I can pop it out if I need to

Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Pnkhead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

-its just as quick for a crook to bust a window as it is to rip the top so,, not really a problem. I do worry though, more about vandals that might go & rip a hole in the top just for spite, or is that jealousy because *they* don't have a vert? So I carry a roll of black duct tape in the trunk. but haven't needed it so far

As for music,, I'm gonna build a sub box that fits in the back seat [8D] with quick release connections so I can pop it out if I need to

If anyone wants to steal your car theres gonna do it, i dont care what alarm system you have there gonna still gonna steal it if they have there heart set on it. As for leaks idk im sure they can be repaired. I rode in a friends 06 convertable and it was nicer in the backseat than it is in my car.

Ethier way i think the convertable pros equal out of the cons way to easly!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:29 AM
BlackdroptopGT

this is my second car ever owned(young kid that is obsessed with mustangs first one was a 98 v6 and needed something more "mustang" oriented[8D] )

when i was looking for my car i didnt want a convertible, well i also want an 03-04 Cobra as my weekend car after i get a little older and after owning this car, the cobra will be a convertible..... they are so awesome, ladies love them, (i park outside 90% of the time and have never had leaking/slashing of the tops, which that depends on who doesnt like you and where you live i guess) only time ive had problems with leaking is the 1 time i took it through an autowash, high pressure water on top of vinyl well your gonna eventually get some leakage through the little peace of rubber thats between the outside and your window but it really only leaked like 2 drops, they are great in the summer and bonus part....

YOU CAN HEAR YOUR EXHAUST 20 TIMES BETTER IN CONVERTIBLES
Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 AM
CanuckGame
1st Gear Member

thanks guys. i live in a big city where people get envious... Vancouver. i could definitly see a future ex-gf slashing the top if i ever meet a crazy chick LOL.....

how much is it to replace the tops incase i ever run into problems like this? im really excited to get this car now thanks guys.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:36 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

It could cost up from 600 to 1000 to have the top professionally replaced [:@]so go easy on datingdisturbedpsycho b!tches

A friend of mine has a '96 Stang vert & is only now looking to have the originaltop replaced, so they can last a long time. She drives her car every day even thru Canadian winters and doesn't park it indoors so, it's about as much abuse as a top could get. Go easy on it & it'll last a LONG time

Quick Reply: Convertables: Pros and cons