General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Jonathan

Default Need some advise

I got my car use. It is a 97 Mustang 4.6 But it has little problems that I want to fix, like the passagers widow button wouldn't work and the lights to them don't work ethier.(U know when they turn green when is dark or the car is on). The CD players kind of works but it doesn't play the CD. I try to put another one but the hook up are only2 and if I take out the casslet player it would sound really bad since the semi system it has.The truk's light goes on and off at time. I change the light but it still does.

And does alachol like the one use to clean wounds and cuts works to clean the cars lights?

I am sorry for asking alot. But, I am not that great with cars and schoo, work, sports, and life. Makings researching hard.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need some advise

For the window the switch is probably bad and needs to be replaced.
For the radiothe cd player is probably shot. not sure if that year has it all in one head unit or 2 like the 94/95's
what are you trying to do with the lights? I would not use rubbing alchol on plastic....alot of times it can ruin it but not always. Are they yellowing out or something?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Replace the window switch.I took one apart and cleaned the contacts once but I had some time to fool around.Make sure the wires aren't corroded or loose before you buy a new switch.

The stereo system should probably be replaced also.They just aren't good enough to waste your time with.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LEJQy3Lx1lb/

The lights can be cleaned but if they are turning yellow you need to use a fine rubbing compound like you would use to polish the paint.You can use a small cloth polishing wheel in a drill if you're carefull.This will remove the yellow layer and give you clear lenses,,,for awhile.They will turn yellow again fairly quickly.
If it's the chrome in the back of the lens is gone they're ready for the trash.Replacement is a good choice.Ford parts might also be the way to go with these also.I don't know about how long aftermarket parts will last.I'd say this is a case of you get what you pay for.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Jonathan

It has them both. The CD player is in the second part and the other is the cass. And to the headlights, they are turning yellow and kind of blur white. As to the lights in the car, they don't turn on, on my side or the passager and at times the unlock or the passager side won't unlock my door.

The car is in great shape but there are little things that need fixing because I would like to fix every thing , soon when I finish HS, I will buy another car(hopefully a mustang)but I want to give this one to my sister on her 15 bday. So, you kind of see why I want to make sure it is safe and nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for the advise. I will try some of them.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:26 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jonathan

It has them both. The CD player is in the second part and the other is the cass. And to the headlights, they are turning yellow and kind of blur white. As to the lights in the car, they don't turn on, on my side or the passager and at times the unlock or the passager side won't unlock my door.

The car is in great shape but there are little things that need fixing because I would like to fix every thing , soon when I finish HS, I will buy another car(hopefully a mustang)but I want to give this one to my sister on her 15 bday. So, you kind of see why I want to make sure it is safe and nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for the advise. I will try some of them.
i dont think that the door buttons light up at all. at least i know mine dont.