General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Super Charger or Turbo, What are the Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I_2Fast4You_I

Default Super Charger or Turbo, What are the Benefits?

Hi, I am new to the Mustang Forums, Ive read some of the other "supercharger or Turbo?" posts and I found them to be no help, Also I am sorry if I posted this in the Wrong spot.[/align][/align]I am 18 and am driving a 2006 Mustang GT Auto, [/align][/align]Ive been thinking about adding a Super Charger or a Turbo to my GT but I am not really sure of the benefits of a turbo or the differencebetween Turboand Twin Turbo. I'm looking to add moreHP and speed. I have done my research on Super Chargers but I seem to always come up empty handed when looking for Turbos, Seems most people use Turbo in there V6.[/align][/align]If anyone knows of any good learning, or just good sites please post there URL.[/align][/align]The brands I have been mostly looking at in order are:[/align][/align]Super Chargers:[/align]Kenne Bell 2.6L Big Bore[/align]Saleen Twin Screw[/align]Roush Supercharger.[/align][/align]Turbo:[/align]Hellion Turbo[/align]
Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Super Charger or Turbo, What are the Benefits?

Positive discplacement superchargers are 2 basic flavors, roots and twin screw. Both provide full boost pressure at low rpm, and make very brad torque, and good top end power. Roots are old designs though, and the least efficient of all the blowers, but they're also the cheapest. TS's are more sophisticated, they're actually a compressor, unlike a Roots, they function the same only they're more efficient at it, so they'll make better power than the Roots will. Both provide power from basically almost right off idle.

Centrifugals are a different animal, the design is very efficient, bith centri superchargers and turobs are a centrifugal compressor, and both are very efficient, but since the centri SC is belt driven, and boost pressure is a function of the square of the speed the impeller turns, they only make peak boost at maximum rpm, under that the boost pressure drops off. Some see that as a benefit, in a car with already minimal traction, a centri SC can provide the top end power, without too much bottom end or too rapid an increase in power, so traction could be maintained.

Turbos like a centri SC are highly efficient, only most modern turbo designs lend themselves to slightly increased efficiency over a centri SC. But, because they turn independant of engine rpm, they can be set up to boost from basically off idle if you want. They're highly efficient, and when properly sized to the application, can provide no turbo lag that you'd ever be able to notice, they make excellent power across a very braod rpm range. Twin vs single is more a matter of how rapidly and where you want the power made, 2 smaller turbos can spool quicker so you can build maximum boost at low rpm and very quickly, but a properly setup single turbo can boost at very low rpm as well, but since the impellar is a larger diameter it won't accelerate as quickly, and there may or may not be lag depending on how the system is setup. Turbo setups are generally considered the superior choice.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

67mustang did an awesome job explaining that. he said exactly what i was going to say, just in a hell of a lot more detail
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Alot of the choices people make are their opinions too. I personally and not a fan of turbos but thats mainly because most imports you see have to have them to be fast. But they will over all produce more power than a sc but for a shorter period of time. A big turbo will hit its max boost high in the band and only last in that half of the band. A sc gets to max boost quicker. I would personally get the KB 2.6. They sound mean as f*ck and can produce power. I'm sure you've been on youtube so look at this one. Yes it's a cobra but come on you gotta love the sound! If that doesn't come up just search for kenne bell cobra look for snake bite 2 when it comes up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rXsAYCrvNsg
Old 02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Supercharger is one word, sorry it was bothering me. I'd suggest either a KB or a Procharger as far as superchargers go, or go with a turbo. If peak power is your concern don't go with a KB.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you have the money and the traction, a well set up turbo system, single or twin, is hard to beat. I've thought about doing a carb'd Procharger on my 302 down the road. But the 2 things that sway me away from that are my modestly high compression which would limit my boost potential, and I'd like to get the power n/a. There's something to be said for running quick all engine. Roots and screws have the awsome sound factor though.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

I hate when people talk about turbo's being on an Import. Why does it matter if most Imports use turbo's? I know a lot of Import people that use SC's too. Does that make the SC 'Ricer'?

You can ask anyone that know anything about boost and they will say that hands down the Turbo is the more efficient out of Turbochargers or Superchargers.

I personally like SC's more. Turbo's make awesome power but you have to have them set up properly to make the power usable.
It's a nice feeling to get in a 400-450 rwhp turbo car and floor it in 3rd and then hit full boost. Especially when the full boost hits you all at once and your rear-end comes out from under you.

The thing that I like about SC'sis that, for the most part, you always have the power there without building up boost. I think the power is a lot more manageable driving-wise, than a turbo is, trying to have a fast street car.
You also have to consider that you are 18 and don't have that much driving experience. Do you know how fast 400rwhp+ is, especially in a turbo set-up car?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

I'm with Import, whats up with the association of Turbochargers and "ricers"?

I know enought imports with positive displacement superchargers (stillen sc 350z's / even tiburons). You can't associate types of boost with a certian group of people.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 AM
mcfarway
2nd Gear Member

Since you're driving a newer car, I assume money's no object. You have to estimate in the thousands for parts, labor, tuning, tickets (don't kid yourself, they'll find you), insurance (once they combine your age/car/tickets, the accountants will upgrade your annual bill as well.) Speed is easy, it just takes money.

My best advice: if you want Shelby performance, get a Shelby. Off the shelf performance is awesome.

Oh, and spend some money on a good driving school ... 300HP is still enough to kill you quick, under the right (or wrong) circumstances.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Personally. Im more for turbos. I have owned numerous cars. I even owned an 06 mustang gt, 5 speed. I liked it, but it actually felt slower than nearly any car I had driven. It wa quite obviously faster though. The point is, I would prob reccomend that you get neither for now. Focus on traction, bigger tires, suspension, clutch and maybe an exhaust. You can reuse all that with the turbo or s/c. I was 20 when I bought my stang, I have found if it FEELS faster, It IS more fun. I have more fun with my fox body mustang, I know its not as fast, not as nimble, it IS a convertible though... But still, I like having the extra cash in my wallet from the low low insurance and no car payment! Yes, and those tickets. I got one for pulling out of a kragens and going through a puddle and a bump. Spun the tires a bit trying to get into traction...for some wierd reason, if the speed and angle is just right, traction control doesnt kick in while turning... 550 dollar ticket and 4 points on my record...which was spotless. Yeah...it sux. I know you didnt post this to get a flaming response to your age, or responsibility, money, or tickets. Just thought you might want the experience of someone who was there recently...in the same kinda car. So... I would say to your question, turbo. But you WILL need extra traction, unless you keep the boost at 8 lbs prob...even then.

Quick Reply: Super Charger or Turbo, What are the Benefits?