General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

strut tower brace question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 AM
briansbodyshop
1st Gear Member

Default strut tower brace question.

Do the strut tower braces and k member supports really make a big difference?? What about the lowering spring kits,what is the best to have and do they make a difference in squatting and nose diving?? Thanks....
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: strut tower brace question.

I was thinknig BOUT INSTALLING A STRUT BRACE JUST FOR THE EXTRA SUPPORT. Sorry about the caps.

I heard it helps alot.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Anything to stiffen up the chassis will help. That being said, the best chassis mod is probably subframe connectors. A K-member brace is also very helpful. I have been told by people who do open track stuff that a strut tower brace isn't really necessary until you switch to a coilover front suspension setup.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

The strut tower brace is popular with convertible owners. I have the the Edelbrock 3-point on my vert and saw a difference in steering, especially on bumpy roads. I plan on the CHE K-Member brace with torque limiters in the near future.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I added one to my wifes98 v6 and it helped out alot. It kept the nose flatter during cornering and the car felt more stable. And it has no other suspesion mods at all.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:09 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Strut tower braces do make a difference. Although not very much in the S197 since the chassis is made stronger in the first place. I put one on mine almost immediately just because in a Datsun Z that I used to auto-x, it made a difference in just how the car felt driving down the road. It felt stiffer for sure. So, to me, the brace in the Stang was a no-brainer.
Stiffer springs will reduce dive, squat, and body roll.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
6T9_CHARGER_RT

I have the Maximum Motorsports strut brace on my 92 convertible & noticed/felt the difference immediately ...the cowl doesn't shake as much over bumps & when I pull out of the driveway
Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 AM
mcfarway
2nd Gear Member

I put a GRIPP in my car & didn't notice a lot of difference. For me it was peace of mind, since I went down over 2" in front ... to make sure that everthing stayed square. Lowering the ride height was the biggest/best handling upgrade I made. I don't have the K-member brace or subframe connectors, but I don't auto-X, either.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 PM
my little red 90
2nd Gear Member

A strut tower brace helps keep the front end geometry where it was set.
if that is all you intend to do, you may not find it that much different.
I have mostly Maximum Motorsport stuff, and it is great.

Add lowering springs (no more than 1-1/2 " unless you are going to add a bump steer kit) + full length subframe connectors along with that strut tower brace, and you willlike it.

Call Maximum Motorsport. They race their stuff and can help you with a full setup or piece by piece so you end up with what you want. They answered a lot of my questions.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 PM
SC89LXmustang

i put one on my 89LX and could tell a big diff. i also have full length sub frames under my car, with eibach sportline springs and kyb gr2 struts. the car handles great. just my power pipe is tight going under the strut tower brace. ;-( especially when i get my new intake with a 1inch spacer.

Quick Reply: strut tower brace question.