General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What makes a car a "Daily Driver"??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:46 PM
prttychromektty

Default What makes a car a "Daily Driver"??

I need some feedback on what everything thinks makes a car a "daily driver"...Is it that you drive it everyday? Or how far you go? Or how fast? Or what kind of road its on? Or how you drive it? Now heres why...

My husband and I have been having this issue, on which gears I should put in my 2001 Mustang GT. He thinks 4:10s would be the best thing. From all I've heard, 4:10s arn't that great for a daily driver. Alot of friends of mine have told me that 3:73s would be probably the best thing. I've started taking the car to Beaver Springs to drag race it, but I also drive it when the weather is nice, which could be everyday in the summer, or just a few times a week. We live in a rural area so I'm really not on any major highways and mostly at a speed of 55 or less. None of the people I've asked about gears have a mustang gt like mine, if they have them they are older. My husband says they are all wrong "they just say that its not good as a daily driver because they read it in magazines, none of them know about the newer transmissions or anything" he says. He also says that its only a daily driver if you driver it everyday on a major highway at a high rate of speed. Now I'm not saying hes wrong, or my friends are right, (actually I'm more confused now about gears then I was) I just want some feedback from some other mustang owners who may have made the decision to put different gears in there cars, and why they picked what they did.

If anyone can help please let me know, I'm looking to order gears in the near future. Thanks alot!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:52 PM
ckthecerealkiller
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What makes a car a "Daily Driver"??

Daily driver= Which car that you use for going to work/store/school. Not necessarily year round though. You can have a couple daily drivers. The speed doesn't matter though.

Gears- Get the 4.10's they are the most prestigous gears. Really gears don't effect gas milage the way everyone thinks. The only dif is you might get less gas milage on the highway. But you do have to learn how to re-drive you car a little.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:56 PM
yellow95 347

Why does he want the 4:10's so bad? Does he think it will help you that much more at the drag strip? If that's the case, I wouldn't think they would help much more than 3:73's unless your running slicks. Yeah, the acceleration of 4:10's is great........ IF you can get the car to hook up off the line.

Then again, if your not driving much over 55, engine speed really shouldn't be an issue. Especially with O/D there really will only be a couple of hundred rpm difference between the two, then why not go with the 4:10's. If you really want to figure out what your engine speed will be with each set of gears, do a little searching on the net for a "gear ratio calculator", that will help show you your engine speed with each.

Mine is not a daily driver either but, highway speeds around me are 70mph. So in my case, I'm going with the 3:73's. Well......that and I just happen to have a set sitting around just waiting to go in!!

Not much help am I?? That's jsut my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:58 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

hes right because men are always right.

jk. a daily driver is the vehicle that is doesnt matter what the weather, time of day, anything is you can and will still drive it. when thinking of the gears you want , speed of the driving you will mostly be doing is a big consideration, but you should be fine if ur under 55. hes prolly just sayin that because woman cant control that much torque and acceleration and he doesnt want it wrecked [:-]
Old 04-03-2005, 12:01 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Reliability is the major factor in deciding if a car is a daily driver or weekend warrior. If your contenplating a gear swap and have no real major engine mods then you car would theoretically still be a daily driver. Unless of course you go overboard with the gears and cannot drive the car over 55 without hitting redline lol.

Alot of cars, particularly pro street cars are not daily drivers because #1 they can't sit and ilde in traffic for long periods of time without overheating or fouling plugs, #2 they consume ultra large amounts of fuel, #3 the gearing and stall coupled with slicks are not street friendly especially in the rain, #4 the high dollar exotic motor components are not meant for long term high mileahe use, and #5 the fear of some moron staring at your car so much they hit it or miss a stop and take you out in the process. Not to mention suspension components meant for traction not pot holes and other street issues. These are the cars that owners need to make decisions on whether to drive it on a regular basis or relegate it to weekend duty only, or track duty altogether.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:21 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Goodbye gas money. I'm keeping my stock gear in because of gas prices. I suppose if you never go faster than 40 you'd be ok. Someone is going to reply to this saying..."dude, it's only a few mpg." BUT, 3/17=17% less mpg and 17% more $ spent on gas.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:03 AM
prttychromektty

Thank you....glad to know there are still some people out there who believe racing is only a man's sport and women arn't as good as them. I guess you didn't see in the post as I stated, its my car, therefore why would he care if it was wrecked or not? In any case I ran it at a local drag strip friday at 15.01 and 14.97. So rethink the thing about women not being able to handle torque and all that stuff. But again thanks for your input, and being no help at all just critizing because I'm a woman. [:-]
Old 04-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

i bought 3.73s and i really like them. 4.10s are overkill unless you have drag radials or slicks. you need traction first before gears.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:20 AM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

I have 4.10's and i love them. The acceleration in 2nd and 3rd is great. You really have to get used to first though. I only drive around town, no highway. With the AOD floored 3rd gear runs out fast and the motor is redlined at about 100mph and will not shift into overdrive until you let off the gas.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

ORIGINAL: prttychromektty

Thank you....glad to know there are still some people out there who believe racing is only a man's sport and women arn't as good as them. I guess you didn't see in the post as I stated, its my car, therefore why would he care if it was wrecked or not? In any case I ran it at a local drag strip friday at 15.01 and 14.97. So rethink the thing about women not being able to handle torque and all that stuff. But again thanks for your input, and being no help at all just critizing because I'm a woman. [:-]

Is it an auto or manual? In any case, that's slow for a 99+ GT. Most around here run 14.4 manual and 14.6 or so auto (stock).

But if you have a 3650, I say go 4.10's if you have a t-45, go 3.73's and if you have an auto, 4.30's

Quick Reply: What makes a car a "Daily Driver"??