General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 PM
djay
2nd Gear Member

Default Dilemma

I was at school and somebody (student) backed into me. Which bent a small partof the tip of the fender and the hood is chipped, the headlight is cracked, and the bumper is scuffed. It was a friday afternoon and it was raining and I didn't want to deal with cops and all that (very stupid) so he gave me his number and I called him over the weekend. As soon as I gave him a quote he said "I don't think I'm responsible" and now he doesn't want to pay. We started an insurance investigation and filed a police report and I have 1 witness. He all of a sudden has witnesses saying I hit him now... What do you think will happen? What should I do? This guy is a theif and I just want my car fixed... Any advice would be very appreciated
Old 03-01-2008, 04:29 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dilemma

well the odds are the people 'backing' him are friends. if you have to take it to court, i would get some credible witnesses (teachers or something) that will confirm that those are all friends or aquantances of his (which in court will tilt the scales back towards you...if the only witnesses he has are friends and the witness you have you have no prior ties to). hes not going to get joe schmoe off the street to back him up out of the blue like that think about it. stick to your guns and dont give up. tell your insurance company exactly what happened and dont deviate. if that falls through then take him to court. your insurance company and his insurance company are going to go back and forth and decide who was at fault...you may not have to do anything.

but for future reference always call the cops to do an accident report if there is any damage to your car (i got rear ended a couple times in my first mustang but it did no real damage other than scuff marks that i buffed out so i just collected info and went on my way unless something came up). i guarantee you if you called the cops he wouldnt have been there telling the cop you ran into him. CYA (cover your ***). first thing i do when involved in any accident that does noticable damage to my car is call the local PD to come do a report.