General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help removing paint off calipers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Default Help removing paint off calipers...

I currently have the duplicolor brake caliper painton there and I want to get it off so the better stuff I got I know will stick. Without removing the calipers. Does anyone know what I can do? Is there any chemical material that wn't hurt anything except the ****ty duplicolor paint?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM
stealthyone
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help removing paint off calipers...

dremel and a wire wheel?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Either Aircraft Paint Stripper or Permatex Gasket Remover will remove the paint.
Just make your you don't get it on anything else that painted because it will strip that paint off also.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
02TorchRedGT
1st Gear Member

The best thing to use is brake fluid. I custom paint fishing reels as a side job and use it all the time. Duplicolor is a very soft paint and will basically wipe off with a little brake fluid. Just clean well before repainting with acetone or similar to remove oils. I'd personally remove the calipers to get a nice clean paint job.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02TorchRedGT

The best thing to use is brake fluid. I custom paint fishing reels as a side job and use it all the time. Duplicolor is a very soft paint and will basically wipe off with a little brake fluid. Just clean well before repainting with acetone or similar to remove oils. I'd personally remove the calipers to get a nice clean paint job.
I've used bf before and it usually cuts paint like this off pretty easily.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I might get to it this weekend.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

BAD BAD BAD BAD idea.

I don't know if any of you guys noticed, but he said "without removing the calipers". spreading chemicals (or brake fluid!) on your calipers while they're on the car (and thus still have the pads in them) is a bad BAD idea. Or at least it is if you still want to be sure your brakes will work down the road.

If you don't want to take them off, I'd just use a wire brush. It shouldn't take much to get the paint off.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:10 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

So by puttinga chemical such as Aircraft paint stripperor Gasket Remover on the OUTSIDE (no where near the brake pad)ofthe caliper and then FLOODING either of those chemicals later with water to washingawaythe blistered paint and released it from the partand now has no chemial reaction left in that product but it will case your brakes to NOT WORK down the road. How is that if all the chemical reaction from that productis washed away?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

If you want to do it right take the calipers off and redo them, youll get better results. To me repainting calipers while theyre still on the car is like repainting the engine compartment while the engine and everything else is still in there to.

Just remember to bleed your brakes once you hook the lines back up. Buy a one-man bleeder if you have to.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 PM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ALMOST STOCK

So by putting a chemical such as Aircraft paint stripper or Gasket Remover on the OUTSIDE (no where near the brake pad) of the caliper and then FLOODING either of those chemicals later with water to washing away the blistered paint and released it from the part and now has no chemial reaction left in that product but it will case your brakes to NOT WORK down the road. How is that if all the chemical reaction from that product is washed away?
No, I'm saying that fvcking around with chemicals around your brakes when you have no idea WHAT that chemical will do to the pads if it drips onto them... is a BAD idea.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend an extra 20 minutes getting the paint off the calipers than save that 20 minutes and have it even leave a 1% chance that my brakes were compromised at all.

You do whatever you want. I'm just offering my opinion and the reason for my opinion.

Quick Reply: Help removing paint off calipers...