General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

coolant light????WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:09 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

Default RE: coolant light????WTF???

i didn't say because i assumed i would not be thought an idiot but i guess i was mistaken. the coolant level is not low. i've taken it to the dealer and they can't figure it out. they said it had something to do with the reservoir cap and replaced it which seemed to fix the problem for about 6 months. or maybe it only happens when the weather is cool.

a friend of mine said if the intake was leaking it would idle strangely. assuming that's the case that might be the problem. the idle fluctuates between 1000 and 500 RPM periodically. but every mustang i've ever known did that. i had an 88, my mom's 96, and a friend's '86 all idled the same way. i thought it was a mustang trait.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Texas 67

The dealer probably topped off the coolant when they replaced the cap. Six months later it has dropped ever so slightly and turned the light on. The sensor in the tank turns the light on. If you want to test it fill the tank with water (engine off and cool of course). There should be no light with the ignition in run. Drain the tank and turn the ignition on again and the light should be on. As for the cooling fan it comes on with engine temp. or with the a/c compressor (a/c or defrost positions).
Old 04-06-2005, 03:14 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I had a similar problem with my '88 and found the problem to be the float in the coolant overflow bottle was sticking in the tube due to a build of minerals and stuff on the sides of it. I removed the float from the tank after disconnecting the wiring and cleaned it off real good and removed the tank and washed it out real good and never had the problem happen anymore after that. I don't know if the newer models use the same type of float switch as my '88, but it can't hurt to look and see if this is your problem.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:53 AM
usernamesarelame

I had this happen to mine a day or so after i bought it (used). I waited overnight, still the same thing when i drove to work the next morning, plenty of coolant in the tank. when i drove home that night, same thing, coolant light was on, and stayed that way. that night i disconnected the battery, hit the brakes to drain all the juice out, re-connected the battery, and havent seen the light since. i recommend the old computer re-learn to try to get rid of the light, worked for me.
-kevin
Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 AM
steeda_exhaust
1st Gear Member

ment no disrespect Nathan. i have encountered waaaaaaaaay to many stupid people to dismiss the obvious stuff.

apologies.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:10 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

it's ok. no worries. i guess i should have stated it before hand. there's no way for you guys to know that i'm not a moron. i think i'll try that battery thing today.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:25 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

well i checked my coolant today not low. i added a little water just to be on the safe side. no luck i disconnected the battery and still no luck.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:05 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

dj0qwioajxsnlk

Last edited by SXGT; 12-23-2023 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:39 AM
usernamesarelame

i dont know how much it would run, but i can't imagine it'd cost much to replace your coolant level sensor...
just a guess though.
-kevin
Old 04-08-2005, 12:55 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SXGT

Iam having mine looked at monday at noon , ill let you know how it goes, Btw iam nathan kirby and i drive a white GT too , odd no?

please do. it's bugging the hell out of me. and yes i suppose that is a little bit odd.

Quick Reply: coolant light????WTF???