General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NOOB IN THE HOUSE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

Default NOOB IN THE HOUSE!!

so i have this 2004 V6 3.8L mustang automatic transmission, i never was really into cars until i got this... now stock this thing pushes 190 HP my goal is to have it at 350 HP, and the only thing i am sure that i want to do is put a flowmaster dual exhaust on it... lol what else should i do to make this dream of 350 HP happen without completely ruining my car? could you also tell me where to search for good prices, what namebrands to go with etc... im completely clueless but real willing to learn... and please i already know im a "noob" no need to continuously remind me...
P.S. whats a supercharger?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:50 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Default RE: NOOB IN THE HOUSE!!

1) Cold Air induction system
2) Supercharger
3) NOS

Asupercharger is any piece of equipment that compresses the air being delivered to an engine, allowing the combustion chamber to be overfilled without enlarging the space. The higher concentration of oxygen provided by a supercharger is matched with a larger amount of fuel from the fuelinjectors. By this definition, a turbocharger is actually of the supercharger family, although it is often thought of as a completely different kind of device.

A supercharger comes in two different variations: positive displacement, and dynamic. A positive displacement supercharger pushes air into the engine at a constant speed, while a dynamic supercharger uses velocity to manipulate the pressure in the air. In either case, oxygen is compressed as it is delivered to the engine, allowing more power to be gained from every explosion in the combustion chambers. In contrast, cars that do not have a supercharger draw air in using its natural flow, monitoring and regulating the amount via sensors and valves; these cars are called naturally aspirated.

A supercharger is also categorized according to how it is powered. Some superchargers, known as turbochargers, use exhaust gases to power the compressor. The exhaust gases are converted to power in a device called a turbine. Other superchargers are mechanically powered by the engine, typically via a drive belt, but also sometimes via a chain or gear. This type is what is normally called a supercharger, or a "blower," even though all systems that compress the air going into an engine are technically superchargers, regardless of how they are powered.

A mechanically powered supercharger has some of the same drawbacks as a turbocharger, such as causing shortened engine life, particularly if installed incorrectly. Because of the extreme increase in power, supercharged engines require a lower compression ratio to avoid damage to the engine. For this reason, a supercharger should not be installed on a normally aspirated car without first making the required changes to the engine. Also, when installing a supercharger, the owner of the car should thoroughly research the effects the alteration will have on the drivetrain warranty, if the car is still under warranty.

However, a mechanically powered supercharger is superior to a turbocharger in several ways. First of all, because the supercharger's power is derived directly from the engine itself, there is no delay before the device starts compressing the intake air. A turbocharger, on the other hand, must wait for the exhaust gases to build up before there is enough to power the compressor. Also, a mechanically powered supercharger suffers less of the heat-related problems of a turbocharger, allowing the supercharger to run at greater efficiency. A supercharger can even increase a car's gas mileage when used in a small car with a small engine.

Three types of superchargers are commonly used in cars. The root type supercharger and twin-screw type supercharger are both positive displacement superchargers, and the centrifugal type supercharger is a dynamic supercharger.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

If I were you I would get a new car or a Procharger of something like that.
A supercharger is a basicly a belt driven pump that forces air into your motor.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info mean stang... and a question towards bacon, what's a procharger??
i really am not in any position to get a new car, thats why i'm trying to mod this thing to get up to my desired goal of 350 any more suggestions are always welcome! thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

by the way isn't NOS just a temporary boost? i want mine to be a constant HP of 350, i wanna be able to burn ur average modded honda civic etc...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

350hp will be a tough number to get to.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 PM
echarlemagne
2nd Gear Member

my real actual goal is over 300... it's just u usually fall short of your goals so i aimed extra high to leave room for error when i do actually fall short, and please don't say "buy a new engine" or "buy a new car" lol my mom got me this car a few days ago and i cant just trade it in like that. as far as an engine is concerned, that would help a lot im sure but thats a lot of money to just put out at one time, and also me being the NOOB i am wouldnt be able to install that thing, id have to pay a lot of money for that installation to...so i think modding my Mustang to my desired goal of 350 HP is my best bet... what do you guys think?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

nitrous...not nos.

yes nitrous is temporary. you have to constantly fill bottles and its only active when you tell it to be. supercharger is your best bet for constant power...turbos cost alot more money
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

It's going to cost you probably at least $5000 to get your car up to 300+ horsepower,, do you have that much $?

That includes upgrading other things like your transmission, rear end, suspension to handle the power, etc..

There isn't any "small easy to install" thing you can add to your car yourself that'll radically crank up your power, HP cost money. Nitrous oxide injection is one thing that'll give you a pretty quick additional boost, but it is temporary you have to constantly refill the bottle. And, NOS is illegal to use on the street almost everywhere,, it's meant for the track
Old 03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

Just save you're pennies until you can upgrade to another car.

The V6 model is for getting the "Mustang Look" .. not for going fast or sounding good.

Quick Reply: NOOB IN THE HOUSE!!