General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trying to get my mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to get my mustang

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

IMO, no one should be given mustang gt power for their first car.My first car was a ford taurus. 2nd car was a v6 mustang. 3rd car is a mach 1 mustang. I say, start off small like me, gradually work your way up once you know how fast each car is. For all you know, V6 power may be enough for you. Test drivea manual V6 and then see if it's enough power for you. If not, do a couple mods and you should be happy. Isay go mustang v6. Cheaper on insurance, better gas, andhas some pep. Iasked the same thing to my dad when I was your age, and hewas right that I wasn't ready for a gt yet. Listen to your parents, they know stuff .

I don't know what your mechanic's thinking when he says they have too many problems. I talked to a couple mechanics about cars, and he suggested mustang gt'sand mach 1's to me when I was looking to upgrade. Mustangsare easier to work on then f-bodies, don't really have any problems more than average unless you beat on them, and are affordablewith great bang for buck. Seems like the mechanic is against you.

One other thing, are you going to be insured by yourself, under your dad, orjust your dad under the car? B/c costs change a lot depending oneach one. GT w/you alone= over $4k/yr easily, GT with you and dad=over $3k/yr, and GT with justdad depending on his record could be under $2k/yr. Just to give you a hint, thoseonline estimated aren't close when you put just your dads age under the car andyou aregonna be registered for it. That's all without umbrella policies and other stuff to which your dad should look into.

To help you, as long as you have all 90's in school, haven't been caught with drugs/alcohol,haven't had any trouble with the law or school,aren't rebellious, and don't ask for a lot of things, Idon't see what would give him a reason not to give you one exceptfor the fact that your 16yrs old.
+1!
I wanted a mustang when I was 16 as well, but started with a pontiac sunfire. Now i have a v6 stang, and have been saving to buy a GT this year.

Also, what is your price range?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 PM
slo_sn95

ORIGINAL: hot wheels

wtf. everybody makes these gt's to be a screaming roaring machine, there not, especially stock. your dad might bring an arguement up it were a vette at your age but it's not. we get great mpg on these things (18 city/24 hwy). safety comes from abs, traction control, airbags just like every other car. i guess if you want the same sound and power and your dad wants safety buy a marauder or at least the crown vic. if your grades are what you say they are then that should be enough to prove that your responsible. idk - get an excursion. power and safety.
Compared to most cars... gt's are screaming roaring machines.[sm=smiley16.gif] They definitely have enough power to get wreckless and I think a new GT is a bit much for a 16 year old's first car also.

An older GT like a fox body or SN95 would be a good first car though because those GT's don't have much power and you can make them sound great. My 1st car was a 95' SN95 and with bolt-ons I did a 14.7 at 98mph. LOL! Stock the SN95 is only a little faster than the new v6 mustang so either would be a good 1st car, but the v8 sounds better IMO.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:00 PM
smttyxc92

Well my price range is prolly up to 7k but since my dads a mechanic he works the car auction on the side and can probably get me one for that price maybe a bit more depending on the condition. The gt i really wanted was a 01 02 03 but what do u guys think about a 97 98 99? Is it hard to handle the car? is that why he says its unsafe? Cuz from what hot wheels says it sounds pretty solid on that part. How is it to drive? easy? if id get on it would be standard i dont like automatic at all. The other choice my dad would give me is like a e36 bmw 328is. My brother tells me that the reason my dad might want to buy a one of those cars instead of stang is cuz of the stability with speed. What do you think? Do you need experience much experience to drive a gt?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
bballbum24

i dont really know how i did it but i ended up with my 400hp procharged mustang as my first car about a year ago...all i can say is good luck
Old 03-24-2008, 04:21 PM
slo_sn95

ORIGINAL: smttyxc92

Well my price range is prolly up to 7k but since my dads a mechanic he works the car auction on the side and can probably get me one for that price maybe a bit more depending on the condition. The gt i really wanted was a 01 02 03 but what do u guys think about a 97 98 99? Is it hard to handle the car? is that why he says its unsafe? Cuz from what hot wheels says it sounds pretty solid on that part. How is it to drive? easy? if id get on it would be standard i dont like automatic at all. The other choice my dad would give me is like a e36 bmw 328is. My brother tells me that the reason my dad might want to buy a one of those cars instead of stang is cuz of the stability with speed. What do you think? Do you need experience much experience to drive a gt?
[align=left] [/align]
I know you want a newer GT like the 99 and up. The 99+ GT's come with 260hp stock. These GT's can be harder to handle when racing because the car will kick the *** out when slamming 2nd and possibly 3rd gear while racing (This could be bad for a new driver). I would recommend a 96-98 GT to start with because they have like 220hp stock and will chirp the tires instead of getting sideways down the road when racing. The 96-98 GT's are easy to handle and have plenty of potiential when you start wanting to mod it. They can handle high speeds with ease and are good cars to learn to drive stick on (I did!). 96-98 GT's are also easier to drive in the rain because they don't tend to want to break traction as easy as the new mustangs (doh!). I believe they may also have traction control as early as 96. BMW parts are outragiously expensive and even though your dad is a mechanic and gets a better deal on parts... mustang parts are way cheaper. Another plus about the 96-98 GT's is that most 99-04 GT parts are upgrades for the 96-98 GT (heads, cams, maf) and are cheap when you start to mod to get more power. A 96-98 GT will also be in your price range and will let you keep a little green in your pocket (for mods maybe)! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 03-24-2008, 04:36 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

^exactly what i was thinking. Look for a 96-98 GT. In stock form im sorry to say but their slow as ***** but if you put just an exhaust on it will be agood looking/soundingto drive around and not get you in too much trouble. Then down the road if you want more power you can always upgrade to a PI swap and go from there. But before you even start looking i would call up your insurance company and get some prices. When i was 16 i bought a V6 convertable and the price for insurance wasjust a little undera GT becuase they are scared of a rollover, the amount i had to pay was INSANE. And like others have said you dont need a ton of power yet, i know if i would have been 16 with a 400hp car i probably would have killed myself
Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

BMW will most of the time cost a lot more to fix if anything breaks. I would agree with them above me, see if you can find a nice 98ish GT or else a 99+ v6. In your situation, I think you would be pretty happy with like an 01ish V6 for a while.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:35 PM
98BlackStang46

One possiblity is to build a motor for one until your dad says you are ready for it... Since your dad is a mechanic im sure he would enjoy building a motor with you and then when you got it done you could have one bad @$$ car.... Just an option
Old 03-24-2008, 06:34 PM
20Mustang00
1st Gear Member

Just get a V6.. This is my first car and i still drive it. Im 17 and will be getting a new car next year. Go for a GT when you get ready to go to school. Plus you don't need the speed i just got in trouble the other day and got away with a warning... Plus you can get them for a little of nuthing.. especially the 99-04's
Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 PM
WhiteHorse94
2nd Gear Member

First of all, Mustangs are NOT unsafe. I know for sure since 1994 they have been 5 star (highest) crash test rated in frontal impact.
However, street racing CAN be unsafe, that's why professionals have roll cages, 5 point harnesses, helmets, fire suits, etc. etc.

Second, A GT is too much power/car for a 16 y.o. to handle. I know when you're 16 that might seem crazy, but trust me, looking back I was pretty stupid and foolish at that age.

Quick Reply: Trying to get my mustang