General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Bad brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Bad brakes?

Since its a 94 you should have disk out back also. Sounds like you need new rotors and pads all around. If its a grinding sound your rotors are shot Im pretty sure. Brakes on mustangs are pretty straight forward to do if you know how to do brakes LOL. If you are not sure get someone to help you or get them done. Brakes are too improtant to just wing it.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:04 AM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

your brakes are going to be expensive now. all new rotors and pads and shoes.

hope you have the special tools to do them with..

good luck!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:32 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: babygurl2000

good luck!
^^^ What special tools are you refering too? I have done brakes a bunch of times on different cars/truck and never need any special tools.

To get your piston pushed back in, put you pad on then take a big "c" clamp and put it on the outside of the caliperand on th inside on the pad. (center it over your piston) Then all you need to do is turn it so the pad pushes the piston back in. It is that easy.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

Hey diver8374 Im not sure about your 2001 brakes but some mustang brakes do take special tools to get done. I put rear 94GT axels and brakes on my 93GT. When I went to replace the pads I tried the old C clamp on the caliper on the pass side and it would not go in. Since the brakes were in pretty bad shape I thought the caliper was shot so i get a new one. Well when I get to the driver side same thing. No way both were bad so I call my buddy who works at ford and he told me they take a special tool to compress the caliper. Its a peice that goes on a 3/8 ratchet and you "screw" the caliper in. So whenever you go to replace your brakes if they dont compress with a c clamp you might need one also. You can get the tool at napa(even though it dont fit prefect) for like 10$. Would have save me alot of time and money if I had known.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 AM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: DIVER8374

ORIGINAL: babygurl2000

good luck!
^^^ What special tools are you refering too? I have done brakes a bunch of times on different cars/truck and never need any special tools.

To get your piston pushed back in, put you pad on then take a big "c" clamp and put it on the outside of the caliperand on th inside on the pad. (center it over your piston) Then all you need to do is turn it so the pad pushes the piston back in. It is that easy.
putting them springs back on requires a special tool for a much easier job.
follow me here?