General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need fuel tank help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
midweststang
2nd Gear Member

Default Need fuel tank help please!!!!

I got a 1999 Mustang GT and ive been having problems filling up the tank. When I start the fuel, it pumps for a min and kicks off and gurgles and sometimes it will overfill. It will be on empty and still wont take the fuel. I have to pump so slow that it takes a hour to fill up, so I just put in 10 each time I hit a gas station. Does anyone know what could be the problem???? I am tired of stopping at every gas pump I see!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need fuel tank help please!!!!

Your gas filler tube must be obstructed(?) has your car ever been in an accident and/or had work done on it that might have wound up getting the filler tube twisted about?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
midweststang
2nd Gear Member

I pulled off the tank when it first happened and it was perfect, worked for a little after replacement, and it is doing it again!?!?!? Anyone else know what could have done this?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 AM
colt1567

i guess it could be your gas gage if it stays on empty all of the time. There also could be some gunk in the bottom of the tank that bothers the line, but then goes out.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 AM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

This happens on my '04 GMC yukon a lot. try turning the gas pump handle upside down... it may sound strange, but it works on my yukon.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
midweststang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: colt1567

i guess it could be your gas gage if it stays on empty all of the time. There also could be some gunk in the bottom of the tank that bothers the line, but then goes out.
no, anytime I do get fuel into it, the gage does move, just wont go into the dang tank!!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
midweststang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03GTVert

This happens on my '04 GMC yukon a lot. try turning the gas pump handle upside down... it may sound strange, but it works on my yukon.
I'll have to try it next time I got to get gas and I'll let you know. I spent about a half hour at the pump yesterday to fill it up all the way, bout 15 gallons.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 AM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

My T-bird has a problem with the stupid vapor recovery nozzles which are state law in CT and a lot of other places in the US. I just hold the rubber neck on the pump up so only the metal is touching metal on my tank filler pipe. (like old hoses used to be) My 89 stang did the same thing, but it was only at "Cumberland Farms" gas stations for some reason. If all else fails, try filling it with a gas can and see if it still gives you $hit, then you know you have another problem. Also, not to sound like an @ss, but you are pumping gas with the engine off, right? Because if not, you will trip the pump every 2 seconds if there is vaccuum in the line. Hope to be helpful Let us know
Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
midweststang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMan628

My T-bird has a problem with the stupid vapor recovery nozzles which are state law in CT and a lot of other places in the US. I just hold the rubber neck on the pump up so only the metal is touching metal on my tank filler pipe........
I am thinking that it has to be some kind of preasure relief on the tank, cause once the filler neck fills up, i have to wait till it empties to put more in. any other input will help, and thanks for all the other info!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:06 AM
midweststang
2nd Gear Member

ttt

Quick Reply: Need fuel tank help please!!!!