General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:01 PM
gort66044

Default transmission fluid

the 2nd gear band on my 69 convertible is slipping so i want to add 24oz of Lucas Transmission Fix to my fluid. What is the safest and easiest way to remove 240z of fluid without removing the transmission pan??

Thanks
Old 04-15-2005, 12:18 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: transmission fluid

you could try one of those small hand pumps. send a line down the dip stick shaft and pump some out
Old 04-15-2005, 04:24 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you know you can tighten those bands don't you?? or get a tranny shop to do it for you.
another way to get some fluid out is to disconnect one of the trans cooler lines attached to the radiator and put a hose over the end of the line and put the other end of it in a bucket or other container. then start the car in park and watch the fluid run out and shut it off when you think enough has pumped out. you can always put an excess back in the trans if you need it after you add the Lucas stuff.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:29 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

you know you can tighten those bands don't you?? or get a tranny shop to do it for you.
another way to get some fluid out is to disconnect one of the trans cooler lines attached to the radiator and put a hose over the end of the line and put the other end of it in a bucket or other container. then start the car in park and watch the fluid run out and shut it off when you think enough has pumped out. you can always put an excess back in the trans if you need it after you add the Lucas stuff.
That's what I did to get mine out. Pretty good method. Isn't lucas a bad thing for transmissions?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:30 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I would just pull the pan anyways, replace your filter, service the bands and put a drain in your existing pan or buy a new pan with one in it. I did that years ago for my Chevelle and El Camino.

-Eric-
Old 04-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I also heard some horror stories about Lucas products. Lots of foaming as they don't use any anti-foaming agents in their products. I saw a test on their oil additive that made me cringe with the results...... a gooey, whitish, foamy mess. I suggest another product. Some good ones on the market.

I go with idea of taking it to a tranny shop, having the pan dropped, the filter changed and the bands adjusted. Just tell them exactly what it is doing. Sometimes the smaller, privately owned shops are better as the national chains are usually interested in replacing your whole tranny with a rebuild instead of adressing the problem. I have used synthetic tranny fluid in both automatics and sticks in the past. Keeps them as smooth as a baby's behind. Better handling of heat and stress in the system also.

You also have the option of going to one of the quick oil change shops and have them hook you up to the complete tranny flush machine which back flushes all the fluid in you entire system (auto tranny) including the torque converter and replaces the whole system with 100% new fluid. You would be amazed how black the fluid comes out even if your pan fluid looks nice and red. Pan only holds about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the fluid in you system.

Hope your tranny problem is a small one. Good luck with your ride!