General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Supercharger installed Now overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
guch1971

Default Supercharger installed Now overheating

Hello,
I am new to the Mustang Forus, and have seen some pretty knowledgable posts and responses so I figured I would look for some help. I have just installed a vortech V2 SQ on my 1991 Mustang GT. and since the install I have been overheating. I cannot tell how hot it is actually at, either the sensor or gauge has just stopped working. But after a ride around my town testing.. I noticed the car running poorly. I went home and saw that the overflow was boiling over.. ( not good ). Changed the fluids again. 50 mix, some Redline water wetter... and made sure that I was topped off.. tested again.. got pretty hot again.. I checked to see if the thermostat was opening up and it was. Does anyone have any ideas why it would now start to overheat after the supercharger was installed? I am at a loss.

thank you in advance for any help.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:09 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger installed Now overheating

Psi output? Did you upgrade the fuel system (lean)? Do you have a boost retarder (detonation)? What plugs are you using(detonation), you should have gone 1-2 steps colder than stock. And the radiator should have been upgraded with a S.C. install (cooling capacity).
Old 04-12-2008, 09:11 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Ohhh, and get a good aftermarket gauge so you can tell what the temp is.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 PM
guch1971

The details are in the signature, still with 19lbs injectors, fmu, colder plugs A.L 24's, pressure regulator set at 60lbs, vortech boost retard. Plugs look good no signs of det. That I can tell. Looks like only getting between 6-8 pounds of boost. I was under the impression from vortech that the cooling system should be up to the task. I am not ruling out detonation, but I should see some sign on the plugs also no audible knock ( I know that doesn't mean it isn't )
Old 04-12-2008, 09:59 PM
guch1971

I forgot to mention that I have a vortech in line pump . I do plan on getting a reliable temp gauge
Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, missed the signature. You are going to be putting much more heat in the engine and at a minimum I would upgrade the the radiator. I know you have an FMU but IMO the injectors are too small. Plugs you say A.L. but your sig says Champion. Champion plugs are junk IMO, and in my experience they run hotter than a comparison plug at the same heat range. If they are the Autolite #24, they should be correct at that boost level..
Old 04-13-2008, 01:09 AM
guch1971

No prob at all I miss most peoples sig also. Thank you for taking the time to respond.I know the injectors are way too small I do plan on upgrading them, I just thought I could get by with them. Obviously that isnt the case at all. Not sure what size to go with I hear such a huge diffrence from diffrent people One guy I know who has a 600 plus HP before tune is telling me I only need 24's I value his opinion he turns a wrench at a local place by me.. But that totally is off from what I read on the internet and in forums. Most people are saying 30 or 42. I do plan on TFS heads and street heat intake so I am thinking the 42's
Oh I am using autolites #24's I forgot thatyou asked... I really hope I didn't do any damage, I was really unimpressed by the performance. I think I am only getting 6 maybe a pound or more .?? ( hard to tell while trying to shift and watching the tach). ( all done before I realized the heat possible ( Most likely Det\leancondition ) I thought the V2 SQ was supposed to get upto 10psi on a stock motor.. Mine is mostly stock..
I am going to take your advice about getting a bigger\better radiator.. Any advice on type and injector size?
Once again thank you.
Just trying to make a fast reliable car.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:18 AM
guch1971

Oh I just realized I also had put on underdrive pulleys back in 91... ( I have forgotten some of the stuff i have done to the car over the years).. That would also make the car run hotter too right? I think the underdrive pulleys make the waterpump pulley bigger which would slow down the pump.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:00 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

For the radiator, the Summit aluminium is a nice piece for the price. I can't say that is a BeCool but it sure looked real similar. Not surewho makes it for thembut the quality is pretty good.

Injectors, I would think that 30 would fit the bill. But getting it dyno tuned will tell for sure.

As for the pullies, yes the pump should be turning slower with them. Enough that is going to make a difference, not really IMO. I realy think it comes down to the injectors and radiator.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:16 AM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

would def get swap the pullies back to stock.

Quick Reply: Supercharger installed Now overheating