General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Supercharger installed Now overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:51 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger installed Now overheating

Your aftermark pullies need to go back to stock, you'll lose boost. I found out tha hard way and spent $200 for nothing. I don't know anything about 302's, but I would imagine 42 lb injectors are needed for that kind of boost. Im sure your running lean and IM sure that has somrething to do w/ you running so hot. Not enough fuel cooling down your cylinder walls, no power, all air. Dangerous for the engine. IM suprised Vortech didn't give you instructions on your fuel injectors. Once you get this fixed, have someone air/fuel dyno this on a wideban. They can adjust your fuel trims and run your stang safe. I also wonder where your timing is ??
Old 04-13-2008, 11:19 PM
guch1971

Thank you also for your response all is appreciated. I also agree with you that it seems to be a lean condition ( from what I have been reading most people who have a SC have upgraded to 30+ injectors. The strange thing is that I pulled the plugs and they show to be in a good air fuel mix.... ( gold/ brownish color ) I could be reading them wrong.. Def possible but lean conditions I have seen before show up with a very light color almost white or grey.. some with spots.. but non the less everyone seems to think it is def lean. ( so i will heed the warnings) Vortech states that this system is built for a stock 5.0 which has 19lbs injectors.. but mine isnt exactly stock.. Not heavily modifyed either.. I am going to let my Mech. look at it.. I am leaning towards 30lbs injectors.. but I dont want to have to upgrade them again for when I do the head intake swap.. so do you think they will work with all the mods, and future mods I plan?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The 3924 may be too hot of a plug as well. I'm running the 23's on my 302 and it's n/a. Pull one out and spray the end off really good with brake cleaner and look at the threads. You're checking for discoloration of the metal(like blueing when steel is heated, or that it's been "cleaned" by the heat). On a long reach plug the first 3-4 threads should be discolored from heat and the rest should be black(or whatever color it was when you bought it). If less threads are showing heat then you need a warmer plug(HIGHLY unlikely in your setup) and if more than 4 threads show heat, then you need a colder plug. You're better off starting with a colder plug and moving up in heat ranges(ESPECIALLY in blown/nitrous applications), the worst that'll happen with too cold of a plug is fouling/missfire, but if you start too hot it can cost you an engine.

Definately get the proper sized injectors and a better radiator. Most of the Ford stock radiators were barely enough for the stock engines.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:31 AM
guch1971

Thanks 67, That was an informative post, I will re examine the plugs.. I did know know to look at the threads themselves. I was taught to look at the electrode and the insulator at the electrode.. The Threads have a black residue on them.. I am now at work so I will have to wait until i get home to check with the brake clean to check for discoloration.. May be hard on those plugs since they are black already.. but I will look for any signs of blueing.
Is it possible to blow out a headgasket/ or valve guides from overheatingand not show signs of any smoke white, blue or any other? Little worried about that.. My friend was test driving the car when it was overheating ( I wasnt in it ), So i dont know how it was driven.. I just know it was super hot when he pulled up.. and it was pinging pulling into the Driveway! [:'(]

I took it for a test drive later on when it had cooled down.. No pinging, did not seem to overheat.. got on it once .. power seemed off.. but still no smoke..
Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
guch1971

Well I have found out what the problem is, I wasnt lean, nor actually overheating .After installing the SC. I took it for a ride, and afterwards it was boiling into the overflow tank. ( which I assumed that it was overheated). It wasnt it is that I am getting blowby past the headgasket ( Not exactly a blown headgasket, because the fire ring is intact hence no smoke.) But it is pressurizing the cooling system from boost. That is why it seems to be ok as long as I am not too high into boost. So now I have to see if the heads are warped good reason to go get the TFS heads, but also i have to check the block deck for any damage. ( these were not expenses I was prepared for )Ohwell that is the price of performance.. sometimes things go wrong..
Thanks for all of the advice. I appreciate it.

Guch
Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It could also be the intake manifold gasket, boost pressure could be creeping past into the coolant passages.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 PM
guch1971

That would be a much better scenario, is there anyway to test if that is the case? or do I have to start tearing it down looking for the blown intake gasket?
I would REALLY like to avoid doing the heads,intake,injectors...right now( since I just spent all of my free cash on the SC ).I want to avoid taking off the heads right at this moment, IF at all possible....

Thanks.