General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Increasing MPG and HP

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

Default Increasing MPG and HP

Hi, I'm a newbie to most car stuff and I was wondering what I could do to increase my MPG and HP on my mustang. Right now it's a 2001 v6 but I'm thinking of eventually getting a 99-04 GT and trying to learn a bit more about cars before hooking it up.

I hear cold air intake is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to increase HP/MPG. What about ram air intake? Which one is better? I hear turbocharging helps for HP and MPG a lot but that's a lot of $$$ and I don't see many mustang owners with turbochargers, why is that? I'm guessing exhaust will help with HP?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
m260gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Increasing MPG and HP

exhaust and intake is minimal gains of hp...i got around 4hp when i added my cold air and flowmasters. as for fuel economy...neither helped me. lol. if anything..they hurt me.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:51 PM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

damn, what would help MPG with a boost of HP?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 AM
m260gt
2nd Gear Member

maybe a proffesional tune. a cold air may help you...but its hot here in FL so it didnt do much. and maybe full exhaust..i just welded in the mufflers.just get the whole 2.5" system.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

If there were things you could do to your car to increase both power and fuel economy,, wouldn't you think Ford would have already done it for you? lol

Some thinks do work a little bit, like a CAI. Even the factory air intake can be improved by removing the air silencer on most model Stangs. In cases like that Ford opted to quiet thecars intake noises at the cost of maybe 1 or 2 hp.. in their eyes it was worth it but to a car nut it makes no sense lol
Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 AM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

If there were things you could do to your car to increase both power and fuel economy,, wouldn't you think Ford would have already done it for you? lol

Some thinks do work a little bit, like a CAI. Even the factory air intake can be improved by removing the air silencer on most model Stangs. In cases like that Ford opted to quiet thecars intake noises at the cost of maybe 1 or 2 hp.. in their eyes it was worth it but to a car nut it makes no sense lol
honestly, it's not what is best for the people for what companies are looking for. it's what's efficient enough for the company to sell to make a profit. we would all be driving around 500hp hybrids if companies were looking out for us lol. how do i take the silencer off the intake?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boxerz

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

honestly, it's not what is best for the people for what companies are looking for. it's what's efficient enough for the company to sell to make a profit. we would all be driving around 500hp hybrids if companies were looking out for us lol. how do i take the silencer off the intake?
In the example I mentioned, adding an air silencer to quiet the engine but reducesfuel economy a slight bit is somthing a company after making a profit would not do. It costs Ford $ to manufactore the air silencer, also every car manufacturer is frantic to get the best MPG figures to improve their corporate average fuel economy (CAFE). In this case they're wanting to make a vehicle that has maximum interest to the most number of potential buyers.

Might sound surprising, but a lot of drivers would much rather have a quieter operating car than hearing intake roar all the time, despite a couple hp drop in the process.

The silencer itself is that rubber tube that juts out of the air cleaner box and into the fenderwell hole.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
YAYITSJEWDAY87
2nd Gear Member

if your wanting hp and mpg go get a crotch rocket lol thats what i did
Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Most engine mods take a hit in mileage.

The only thing I can think of that will help in both departments is diet mods. It doesn't actually add hp but it frees it up.

Aluminum driveshaft, lightweight rims, skinny front tires.....

How about underdrive pullies. Synthetic fluids.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

pulleys are probably the only thing you can do to add SOME (not worth 200$) power to your car and help or atleast not negatively affect gas mileage until you WOT.

simple math

increasing power = more air and more fuel.

Quick Reply: Increasing MPG and HP