General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Insurance Company Totalled my Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default Insurance Company Totalled my Car

Ok. So, I think the insurance company is going to try and ream me on the value of my car. I need some opinions. Here is a list of things and money I have put into the car. As you can see I have 4700 in the car...Good KBB value is 2300... Now I bought the rims and tires used so I dont have a receipt. But I got a quote from the local tire place on how much they cost new. I am trying to track down receipts for the security system and deck, but I seem to only have a receipt for the install... Best buy cant find my receipt. The other stuff...will they reimburst me for? I mean, if they give me book value I am out so much money its not funny. Since its the other persons fault, aren't they supposed to pay me the value of my car plus my receipts or how does that work? How much would you guys value my car at before the accident? It had some dents and 98k on the odometer...dunno if it was 198k. It was loaded. It has 5500 bucks in front end damage...it bent the frame and crammed the fan into the radiator...etc...

New top and Header Strip - 1500
Alpine Deck - 350
Viper security sys - 600
Power Locks - 325
Rims/Tires/Lug Nuts - 1525
Speakers - 400
Sub Total -4700

Car Value -2300

Total -7000

Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 PM
MikeIt69

Default RE: Insurance Company Totalled my Car

Frame damage, sounds like a 'write off' already.

If its a write off you will get the blue book value of the car (judged by condition, mileageand wear of the car). If you had other things insured on the car like a new rag-top or new paint, you might get lucky with them repairing it.

You have to prove to the insurance company that your car was '1 of a kind' so to speak, as if you will never be the same without that car.

My 1995 was written off for $1700 because there were a few deep paint gouges and the airbags blew, 210,000 km's... Minimal exterior damage, new headlight clip and cracked paint on the bumper. (180 year old man infront of my on the highway decides he wants to cut off the highway to catch the exit he nearly missed and slams on his brakes, its snowing out and Im on bald tires... hit him after I go tmy speed down to about 20)
Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

It's a catch 22... afteryou installed all that expensive stuff onto your car did you TELL the insurance company about it & asked them to raise your premium to cover it? I'm guessing you didn't

My '86GT was totalled when an old geezer plowed into the back of it. Lucky for me the insurance company allowed me to go to the impound and remove my aftermarketsterio system. Xyour fingers they'll let you do that

Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
MustangMike2001
4th Gear Member

Yeah you should be able to remove all your stuff as long as you have the stock parts to replace them with.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:35 PM
metlcub
2nd Gear Member

I would gripe at the insurance company. as a Mustang from the early 90's late 80's are getting harder and harder to find, they aer becomming one of a kind cars.. If you bitch and give all those receipts to the insurance company they might give you more.. if not , then tell them, the KBB value is this with factory parts, these are aftermarket parts, can I get the after market parts back? They will prob let ya.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
ceracer33

do a search on auto trader and find some in the same condition as ur car with similar mods and print the adds. submit this to them to prove to them that the car is worth more money than that. they have to give u enough money to buy another car identical to urs end of story. they should partially reimburse u for things u have a reciept for. they generally wont pay full price for those items since they were on the car they became a "used" part. anything on the car that u can return back to stock i suggest u do so. they will allow this as long as they are not giving u additional money for said items. good luck.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:35 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

I actually was trying to add extra coverage for the extra items, but they kept wanting receipts. I was willing to pay the extra, I was and still am trying to get receipts. Problem is, Im out the money for the installation of the security system and the deck and speakers. Which is like 800 dollars here. Plus the labor on the top... etc... I will try and find some similar cars and print those off as a comparison. Try and find a good condition 89 convertible gt with a stickshift for 2300 around here...people laugh at you. Let alone a nice blue and white with white leather one.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Lucky for me the insurance company allowed me to go to the impound and remove my aftermarketsterio system. Xyour fingers they'll let you do that
Does that statement seem severely ****ed up to anyone else? The insurance company allowed you to go get something from your car? Jesus Christ, insurance companies are the biggest scam in America. I have full coverage on my Mustang and I'm almost afraid to drive it because if I get in an accident, I KNOW I will get ****ed. Even if it isn't my fault. If anyone here reads this and works for an insurance company, I hope someone in your family gets cancer soon. [:@]
Old 04-17-2008, 11:58 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

when my last car was totalled, i was told by the lady working at the junkyard that i could take anything from the car i wanted BUT there had to atleast be a replacement, even if it didnt work (i.e. if i took my deck out i would have to put in some sort of broken down POS). i dont think the insurance company has anything to do with that (unless they get less money for your car from the junkyard).

unless you paid for aftermarket parts or whatever on your policy they dont give a crap how much money you have tied into it.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yea that's exactly why they allowed me to pull my aftermarket sterio out, I just dropped the original head unit onto the passenger seat & that returns the car to the condition it was insured in.

FixFalcon, the insurance company will of course let you take any loose items out of your totalled car like if you had stuff in the back seat. But stuff bolted to the car that replaced stock stuff they're gonna get picky about. If you stuck a$5000 Kenne Bell blower blower onto your engine AND your car gets totalled I'm not sure if they'd let you go to the impound & start tearing the engine bay apart to remove it. Especially if you didn't inform them of the upgrade before the accident. If you DID tell them you installed a $5K blower (people do that? lol) then they'd raise your insurance premi8m BUT also pay out more if the car gets wrecked. Like I said it's a catch 22

Quick Reply: Insurance Company Totalled my Car