General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what's an ebrake do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 AM
thepit56
1st Gear Member

Default what's an ebrake do?

I was wondering if you pull the ebrake , is it equivalent to slamming on the brakes.

also does the stopping power become less if you pull the ebrake up only a little.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:35 AM
RojoDojo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what's an ebrake do?

ORIGINAL: thepit56

I was wondering if you pull the ebrake , is it equivalent to slamming on the brakes.

also does the stopping power become less if you pull the ebrake up only a little.
Are you serious?

I'll assume you are... It's only equivalent to slamming on the brakes if you rip it up quick.

And yes, the stopping power is less if you pull it up only a little.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 AM
MikeIt69

Using your brake pedal in the car will give youABS stopping.

Ripping the e-brake fast will simulate hitting a brick wall haha, if you ease on the e-brake I would say it works better than the brake pedal but thats me. You should use your e-brake frequently to prevent ceizing...

For those that dont know whatABS is, ABS is like tapping on the brake pedalabout 20 times per second so the wheel will not stop rotating thus making the skid/slide of the car alot more controlled. Your e-brake doesnt not have ABS so you get a smaller margine of control but the stop is abrupt, unless you have alot of momentum and weight on your wheels...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

An emergency brake is a mechanical way of applying the brakes, typically only the rear ones. When you pull the ebrake, you're pulling on a cable that is directly attached to the calipers. Pushing on the brake pedals applies hydraulic pressure.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

An E-brake is just that.... an Emergency brake.

Effective breaking should be done with regular brakes as that is their purpose. You'll notice that when you begin to stop your car nose down... this is weight transferring to the front of the car. You can also see that your front brake rotors and calipers are significantly larger than the rears.. this is because the front brakes do most of the work.... because during weight transfer.. most of the weight is at the front of the car. Rear brakes are just there to assist.

You'll notice even if you pull your Ebrake to the extent of breaking the handle off, it still won't stop you even remotely close to your standard brakes.

Also the only advantage you have with the Ebrake is the short mechanical advantage of the lever. Your normal brakes have a substantually larger advantage due to the hydraulic nature.

Use your emergency brake when you have the car sitting or running in one spot, if your regular brakes go out and you are in an "emergency" to stop... or in cases when you are going over the speed limit and see a cop and don't want him to see your brake lights come on.... lol!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Or if you have a FWD car and want to pretend you can drift.

I remember doing that when I was young with my old Grand Prix. God was I stupid.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
MikeIt69

E-brakes are for granny parker's and for swinging your *** end out to take a corner doing 50, thats about their only use.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Blackms3
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Or if you have a FWD car and want to pretend you can drift.

I remember doing that when I was young with my old Grand Prix. God was I stupid.
That's pretty funny... I had a guy tell me the other day he was drifting in his corolla.... I was like... "Uh.........awesome???"
Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
MikeIt69

Hey, I bet that corolla saves more gas being loserishly slow than a stang does being super fast and cool.

Haha, my friend is the same way with his 'Intrepid 3.5L'. Sure its got over 200 hp, but it loses like 7 coolness points for being a 4 door... Not even mentioning the15 cup holders.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeIt69

Hey, I bet that corolla saves more gas being loserishly slow than a stang does being super fast and cool.

Haha, my friend is the same way with his 'Intrepid 3.5L'. Sure its got over 200 hp, but it loses like 7 coolness points for being a 4 door... Not even mentioning the15 cup holders.
Good god, there is absolutely nothing appealing about any Intrepid ever produced. Even the R/T was junk.

Quick Reply: what's an ebrake do?