General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Experience on trading cars back to the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 PM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

Default Experience on trading cars back to the dealership?

So I hear as soon as you drive it off the lot, the value goes down tremendously. I bought a 2001 V6 Silver Mustang Convertible Manual with about 77k miles and put 5k miles on it but now that I started getting into cars, I want to go for the same or similar car but a GT than start doing some modifications because I have a decent list of things I want to do the car. I know I can upgrade the 6banger with some mods but I feel like it's a waste and a joke sometimes even though there are some insane 6ers I've been seeing around..

I paid too much from carmax(10k) but I do enjoy the convertible now. If I try to sell back or trade, even with 5k miles put on it, will they screw me over big time?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Experience on trading cars back to the dealership?

yes they will. First question is did you finance it, or buy it outright. Second is does the dealership have the car you're really looking for or are you just jumping on the first GT you see. My advice would be try to sell it privately, and at least recoup as much cash as possible. Then I personally would take the cash and go looking for a private owned GT. You can get a much better deal through private owners, especially if the dealership isn't offering you that much for you're trade.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

you aren't going to get 10k out of it by no means, but you arent going to loose a huge chunk like you would have if it were a new car. definatley take mustangman's advice and try and sell if yourself, that way you will get more money out of it. And also, dont settle for just any GT, make sure its exactly what you want and in good shape so that you arent in this situation again. there are plenty of mustangs out there that you dont have to take the first one you come across.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
boxerz
1st Gear Member

I financed my car and I actually am looking at other dealerships because I want specifics such as MANUAL transmission, GT ofcourse, Convertible Preferred, and Color must be Black(preferred), white or silver. Only thing is, I wouldn't know what to do when selling a car privately like Cash in full? What slips need to be transferred(Pink)?

I'm trying to convince my sister to learn stick and takeover my mustang but she drives through a lot of traffic as her excuse..

What I was looking for in a mustang was a 99-04 body with the Cobra-R front bumper style or would mod it to that. I would also add CAI and exhaust and when money comes around S/C+intercooler but all those are many dreams away.