General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mustang vs. RX7

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:12 PM
sudafed

Default Mustang vs. RX7

Thought I would tell everyone my thoughts for buying a new car and see what your reactions are. Im currently selling my 2000 Mercury Cougar, which I've put quite a bit of work into, however I am buying a house and do not want to make car payments anymore. So now begins the search for a new car. I have always been into Fords (and obviousley its cousins), and I have always loved mustangs (mainly 87-93 fox stangs). So naturally I have been seriously looking at mustangs within my price range of $6,000. But then I came across something else that I have always been fascinated with an '87 Mazda RX7 with 56,000 original miles on it and within my price range. It can be relatively hard to find Mustang GT, 5spds (pref. convertable) with that low mileage and in my price range. The thing is I know much, much more about Fords and Mustangs than I do Mazda rotary powered cars, and can do most repair work on fords myself. So what do you all think of this? Mustang or RX7
Old 04-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang vs. RX7

ok, lemme make some observations please

1) you are asking a bunch of mustang enthusiasts what to buy.
2) you know much about mustangs and not much of anything about rotary power.

i think you know the answer
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 PM
87GT5.0
1st Gear Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^he hit the nail on the head, if you come to a mustang forum and ask what we think is the best car, we are going to more than likely tell you mustang, lol, dont get the rx-7, rotary motors are a mother trucker, get a 5.0
Old 04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

I say if u know alot about the 86-93 stangs than dont stray away. You'll be happy in the stang family!. There is a very few amount of cars out there that have this kind of following throughout the years. The RX7 looks like all the other rides.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 AM
sudafed

I knew I would get harassed for asking this question in a mustang forum, but I expected that. But to the same accord I also posted the same question in a rx7 forum. I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of response I would get. But all's the same I have helped build a few friends mustangs, and the one I may buy is one of the ones I helped do a lot of work on, so I know the car. There is a lot invested in the motor, tranny, rear-end, shock, mounts, you name it he's done everything just short of forced induction. Except all the while he was doing the horsepower mods, the car needs a new coat of paint and an interior face-lift. The only reason I was stuck between an rx7 and a mustang is because originality is great to have too, and although I LOVE mustangs, alot of people have them, this is why I built a Cougar.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:01 AM
shortyd218

I would go with a newer RX-7 but only if its a twin turbo, or you can get a non turbo and drop an LS1 in it.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:30 AM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Monch

that's harassment?

sounds like a sweet built stang that you're looking at, it's a no-brainer man. drop another $500 and get a nice paint job and you are set. and forget originality, really what will put a bigger smile on your face?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

def go wit the stang. An rx-7 with 57000 miles on it is like a mustang w/ 130000 miles on it. Rotary engines have as bad reputation of needing to be rebuilt after 100,000 miles usually. Good luck wit yur search
Old 04-20-2005, 12:34 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

that's harassment?

sounds like a sweet built stang that you're looking at, it's a no-brainer man. drop another $500 and get a nice paint job and you are set. and forget originality, really what will put a bigger smile on your face?
Never had a car painted have you? A "nice" (read barley looks good) will run at least $1000, the last car I painted ran me near $500 for materals alone.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:39 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

An RX-7 is a fairly unique ride, however unless it is the twin turbo the are pretty slow, expensive to mod and have a very peaky rpm band. To get any performance out of them you need to drive them like a 125cc dirt bike (rev the **** out of it), they are also hard on gas, and the rotor seals tend to go bad with fairly low miles. Also they flood easy and when they do it's a real pita to get started again. I know this from owning 3 of them

Quick Reply: Mustang vs. RX7