General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which oil do you use?

Royal Purple....only $5.99 a quart at Pep Boys. Good stuff as is Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1. Check out these sites:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...3&synthFlash=1

www.amsoil.com

www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html

More horsepower & higher rpm's, cleaner engine, virtually wearless performance, flows the same in winter as it does in summer (no dry starts or hard cold weather cranking), improved mileage, longer drain intervals, that's synthetic for you!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:54 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

i use royal purple, but amsoil oil additives are the ****!!!! Way better than lucas
Old 04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

castrol gtx and a ford oil filter. don't use fram filters. the glue that holds the paper element together can come off and be washed into your motor!!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:31 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88PatrolCar

I dont suggest any type of synthetic if your engine has any large amount of miles on it, if it doesnt leak now it most lickly will if you put a synthetic in it. I run valvoline 10w-30 on my freshly rebuilt engine. I would stay away from penzoil, castrol, cheaper quacker state oils, and cheap no-names. On some new fords using a cheap oil or evan an oil like penzoil can void manufacturers warenty.

I am not sure why you think this but it is untrue!! (ex. I purchased a 89' LX 5.0 with 70k on it, put the castrol syntech in it and put over 140k on it useing it without ever haveing a problem with it leaking) I use Castrol syntech and have had no problems at all with it, I still do oil changes between 3500-4500 miles. I have put this in the cars that I have bought used with 60k+ miles on them and change to it right when I got the car home and have never had any problems with it what so ever, and I believe and know that the car runs better with the synthetic oil in it.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DIVER8374

ORIGINAL: 88PatrolCar

I dont suggest any type of synthetic if your engine has any large amount of miles on it, if it doesnt leak now it most lickly will if you put a synthetic in it. I run valvoline 10w-30 on my freshly rebuilt engine. I would stay away from penzoil, castrol, cheaper quacker state oils, and cheap no-names. On some new fords using a cheap oil or evan an oil like penzoil can void manufacturers warenty.

I am not sure why you think this but it is untrue!! (ex. I purchased a 89' LX 5.0 with 70k on it, put the castrol syntech in it and put over 140k on it useing it without ever haveing a problem with it leaking) I use Castrol syntech and have had no problems at all with it, I still do oil changes between 3500-4500 miles. I have put this in the cars that I have bought used with 60k+ miles on them and change to it right when I got the car home and have never had any problems with it what so ever, and I believe and know that the car runs better with the synthetic oil in it.
People say this because conventional oil contains parafins and waxes (natural impurities) that synthetic doesn't. Synthetics run cleaner and can have a tendency to remove buildup in the engine which includes around oil seals. Sometimes the "gunk" form regular oil can help an oil seal do it's job if the engine has lots of miles. With all that said...I think it is mainly a technical point. I actually don't know anyone that this happened to....leaking oil after switching to synthetic on a high mileage car.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:59 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

I just put in that new castrol gtx startup oil...I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the car runs like it's warmed up as soon as you start it. Maybe the commercials hypnotized...