Gas Stations Watering down their gas? - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Reload this Page >

Gas Stations Watering down their gas?

Notices
General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Gas Stations Watering down their gas?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Burtonsnow157
3rd Gear Member

Default Gas Stations Watering down their gas?

This girl i know was having some car trouble and i had no idea what the problem was and was gunna ask you guys but didnt bother. She filled up at exxon and drove off. . . shortly after the car locked up and shut off and came to a stop. It eventually started up and ran but then did the same thing again. She took it to a shop and they said that there was water in the gas, and engine. He also said that hes been seeing this lately, and that gas stations have been putting water into their gas. Does anyone know about this? If this happened to me i would be so heated. . .
Old 04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
m260gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Stations Watering down their gas?

wow...im never going to exxon..i dont see how they could do this. wont they be sued?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

u know what?

i was on my buddies bike a couple weekends ago and i stopped ati wanna say an exxon on the way home for gas(maybe texaco or something i dont remember). got it home fine. next day i got on the bike to drive to my car and the thing shut off on me after about 30 seconds. i let it chill, started it back up, started riding off and it died about 30 seconds later again.

wouldnt surprise me if they were. i can't believe they would be that freaking greedy gas is already at an all time high. oil/gas companies are making more money now than they ever have reguardless of what they claim.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:08 AM
GEAUX05GT

ORIGINAL: m260gt

wow...im never going to exxon..i dont see how they could do this. wont they be sued?
Writing off an entire brand of gasoline because of the alleged actions of one station? The gas can be contaminated by many sources, poor drainage after heavy rains, a hole in the tank, sabotage and yes, a corrupt station owner.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Water and fuel don't mix. It's easy to recognize if you siphon the suspected fuel and look at it in a clear container.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
1367mustang
1st Gear Member

IMO. Water is heavier than gas. It will settle to the bottom of a storage tank. We draw off the bottom of that tank to fill a car. So if they ever added water in any major quantity , all you get is water.

Contamination may be the only answer !!

Regards

Brian
Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Curiously, do you guys live in the Northeast? I read an article a couple days agowhere a bunch of gas stations in NJ got a load of contaminated gas on accident that give a bunch of people problems. They have recognized and fixed the issue last I heard though.

Gas stations watering down gas to save money is also the dumbest thing I've heard. Cars don't run on water and neither does it mix with gas, so it would be very easy to detect once people start breaking down left and right soon after filling up.It would be a very dumb move from a marketing standpoint seeing as they'd spend more money havingto deal with bad PR and fixing cars than they would save from putting water in the gas.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM
TI302
2nd Gear Member

theres too many factors to just blame a gas station. the only local gas station i will not go to for fears of bad gas is the oldest gas station around, whose tanks have been underground forever and probably have very small leaks. was it an older car? gas and water are always seperate, so even just a little bit every tank is going to add up eventually, even condensation, possibly through the filler neck.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Burtonsnow157
3rd Gear Member

yeah we live in ny, the car was an 06 corolla s. the mechanic definitely found water in the gas tank she said though. . wierd
Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

FYI Most gas is being converted to 10% ethenol across the country. FL should have all gas stations with that by the end of april. No if any water gets into the tanks the mixture can have a break down and the ethenol will separte from the gas. Now this problem can happen one of 3 way(spots)
1 water in the tanks
2 water collected in the fuel filter of the gas pumps
3 water in the persons gas tank.

I know this cause i am a gas station manager the gas supplier has given some info on this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Stations Watering down their gas?

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.