General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Knock that goes away once it is warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:29 PM
kushal_22
1st Gear Member

Default Knock that goes away once it is warm

When i first start up my car I can hear what almost sounds like a loose lifter. If i rev it upa bit i can hear it as the engine goes back down to Idle. But once ther motor is warm it is not there.
Sam My Mechanic who worked for Ford for over 12 years thinks it may be the type of Pistons ford uses and that everything is fine. Although He would like to hear what i am describing. It`s just that by the time i get it to him it is warm. It`s Kinda tough to leave it with him since it is the Only car i have. I know I am just going to have to bite the bullet or drive out there and sit around for awhile and let it cool down. In Between then I thought I would come herre and ask if anyone else has experianced this.

Thanks
Malcom
Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Knock that goes away once it is warm

Are we talking about a lower pitched, solid sound or is it more of a higher pitch. It could be an exhaust leak. Maybe start it up, open hood, and get out to see if you can isolate area.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
kushal_22
1st Gear Member

Lower pitch Solid knock. It`s pretty tough to get close enough to hear see what wrong sittting in a wheelchair i can`t really get close enough or even see down in the engine bay[]

Mal
Old 04-26-2008, 08:19 PM
jonnysubmarine_USN
1st Gear Member

where abouts is the sound on the car. because i am haveing a similar problem and i took it to a shop and they told me it was my catalitic converter. i blew out one of my cats anf when my car warms up the honey comb in the cat expands and the sound disapears. from what i've been told is that there was an air leak and it cause that to happen. plus one of my casts it red from the heat. so thats a possibility.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

I had a stuck lifter in my 5.0, it was gummed up with oil or something, so I drained the oil, poured a gallon of kerosine into the crankcase and ran the engine for a min or two, then drained it all out. I got out over a gallon of ****, and the knock disappeared.

Your mechanic was referring to forged pistons, like in the Cobras, which knock at cold startup because they need to heat up and expand. Unless your car was modded, it doesnt have forged pistons, so I dont think thats it.

Does the tick escalate with RPMs? When you increase idle does it tick faster and faster? If so, its probably a lifter or a bend rod or valve(less likely).\

This is what most refer to as a phantom engine noise. Many people have them,and when they want to have someone diagnose it, it stops.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:33 PM
kushal_22
1st Gear Member

Yeah Phantoms Suck!

I get Phantom Pains at times too. A couple times a year it feels as though I have Crushed my foot to Smithers but there it is looking perfect;y fine. A Couple Oxy cottons and the pain goes away
ALL The Pain. Too Bad i could not do something like that to my Car!

Mal