General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Programmer Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 PM
aaustinikki
1st Gear Member

Default Programmer Question

Anyone know of any programmers that can run on 87 octane? I drive a 2002 V6 and with rising gas prices I dont want to purchase high octane gas. I do understand ill lose some MPG getting a tuner and tuning it for performance but I was wondering if there were any out there that are set for 87 octane? and how much am I looking at spending so I can start saving? Also 1 more question im new to this but do you create the tunes yourself or are they pretuned w options to chose from or do you buy the tunes you want and if so how much?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:58 AM
rossn
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Programmer Question

It might be possible with an SCT tuner when you have the custom tunes written for your car.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM
aaustinikki
1st Gear Member

Ok well the Sct tuner. Is there a specific model? And do you buy tunes or are they preloaded. Can you create your own tune? and also since that seems to be my only option will any run on 89 octane or am I in the same boat as the 87?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Gr8T STANG
1st Gear Member

I have been looking into tuners too. From what I've read you can get tunes for 87,91 or,93 octane. I think that the diablo predator and the sct tunersare updatable online for certain setups that have been researced by them and, places like bamachips have done their own research and are selling their tunes.
I'm not 100% sure about all of it but it does seem alot like the powercomander that I have on my bike.They have a list of bikes wih differrant setups and you just pick the one that is closest to yours and download it right to your unit and thats it.
When I find out for sure I'll try to let you know.

[sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 05-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Gr8T STANG
1st Gear Member

OK I did some checking and the SCT X3 comes preloaded with a tune it can alsostore up to 3 tunes that you can buy from their dealers like bamachips.

The Diablosport Predator automatically picks a tune based on your cars PCM.

Both of them are updateable from their websites but, what I saw were only updates for the function of the units them selves and not actual tunes.

Here are the sites for both of them:
www.sctflash.com
www.diablosport.com
I'm not sure which one I'll get yet. [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 AM
aaustinikki
1st Gear Member

How much do tunes usually cost? and On Stangmods.com they list the DiabloSport Predator as coming w preinstalled 87, 91, 93 performance tunes. I think Im going w the Predator but thats just what looks good for my purposes