General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

lookin for some general info

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 PM
STLDave

Default lookin for some general info

i'm looking to buy a mustang in the next few months and was hoping to find some information and thoughts from owners about things to look for and so on

i used to be big into sport compact and all the 4 bangers so i know a little bit about cars in general, but are there any qwirks or things to keep an eye out for when looking at used stangs? i'm looking primarly at o1~ gt's(i need a v8 lol)

are there any issues as far as reliability goes, expeacially once modded? nothing heavy for now,i'm a college kid for the next 9months and don't want anything thats going to be fussy, probably just going to being doing a number of bolt-on's

what parts would you guys say are essential for any new mustang owner to invest in, and what are some good reputable online shops? i know one of the first things will be a cat back, really want a nice, deep, rumbly exhaust note that screams import eater when it pulls up

thanks so much in advance for the help
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Default RE: lookin for some general info

Mustangs are decent for reliability.
My Mustang is at around 88K miles and the only thing thats gone wrong is the Fuel Pump went out at 80K.
Exhaust, Gears, and Tuner are what most people invest in first.
Any shop sponsored here is reputable, scroll down to near the bottom of the site and you'll see a long list of different sponsors with a variety of sales.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 PM
briansgonnawin
2nd Gear Member

So far my STangs been good so i wouldnt know anything mustang specific u should look for.

and i dont think there really is any rliability issues with any mods unless your looking at a Nitrous setup or F/I setup.

But this is what i always tell everyone.

Just check all the fluids, see if its dirty/if its filled. Just that would tell you alot, because if its been taken care of youll see it
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM
ezekiel90
3rd Gear Member

best general site for mustangs in my oppinion is www.americanmuscle.com. fairly good prices and free shipping.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 AM
02TorchRedGT
1st Gear Member

Try to find one thats not beat on. The less owners the better. I'd try to find one completely stock that has'nt been modded. Normally if you find a modded vehicle then it has been run harder than normal.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
STLDave

yeah i figured the less mods the better, i dont want anything that was drivin like a civic by some 2fast 2furious obsessed ricer lol

do the cars take well to modds, as in, get noticable hp gains from the butt dyno?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

I bought my mustang at 180,000 miles. It not a new edge stang but it still runs great, gets good MPG, at least for a V8. What kind of mods did u have planned?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: STLDave

yeah i figured the less mods the better, i dont want anything that was drivin like a civic by some 2fast 2furious obsessed ricer lol

do the cars take well to modds, as in, get noticable hp gains from the butt dyno?
Frankly, no. The weak points in the heads and theres no real aftermarket. Full n/a build ups can see max 370ish but most "full bolt-on" gts get 300-320 to the wheels. If you want better success with bolt ons a cobra is the way to go.

I guess something else to look out for is false advertising. People love to add their "type-r" to civics and its no different with mustangs. Combing over the car to make sure your not getting a rebadge or half-rigged v6 is essential in my book...as well as helps check for body damage and accidents.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
STLDave

for now all i have planed are bolt ons, nothin to extream until school is done, fi after i getout anf start gettin some income possibly

you know, i actually saw a v6 with the "type-r" badges where the mustang one on the side panel should have been, i had to pull over cause i was laughing so hard