General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

? about a dodge

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 AM
STLDave

Default RE: ? about a dodge

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

Hemi's are not gimmicks. It's just that they are not truck engines. Truck engine should have off idle torque. Hemi's don't start making good power until 4000rpm. In a car they shine. 4000lbs 300's are going low 14's at 99mph. That's the 340 hp.

Complaints from the towing power of a Hemi is due to it's lack of torque.

As for mileage. Not doubt a 340hp engine in a 5000lb or heavier truck is going to be poor.

Either get a 2 door, reg cab, shortie 2wd with a Hemi or step up to a diesel.
well, thats sort of what i ment, in that it's a great engine but dodge is just throwing it in every damn car they can stuff it into in order to slap that badge on the cars and up the cost by like 10 grand. i'm a little supprised they havent offered it in a neon/caliber package the way they've been doin things, it'd be like ford trying to stick a gt engine in every vehicle car they sell, it may sound cool, but it's not exactly practical
Old 06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
rio95cobra
2nd Gear Member

Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 AM
gofastbobby
1st Gear Member

then new "hemi" is not actually a hemispherical combustion chamber like the real hemis were, so yes it is a gimmick, and that thang don't got a hemi.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stepman

Well, now you dodge bashers are pissing me off! A hemi is the most efficicient combustion chamber you can come up with. Mine will smoke the tires at will, pull a trailer without effort, and get decent milage doing it. My 04 will smoke my 69..(351)and my 69 hasn't been beat yet. Why do you think they brought this design back after 40 years? It was unbeatable at Daytona and still is.
sure, but none of that keeps them from constantly heading to the shop for this and that.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gofastbobby

then new "hemi" is not actually a hemispherical combustion chamber like the real hemis were, so yes it is a gimmick, and that thang don't got a hemi.
Sogofast, what makes you the expert on combustion chambers.
I'll attach a link and you explain to all of us what makes a hemi a hemi.

Thanks

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_02.html
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM
gofastbobby
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

Sogofast, what makes you the expert on combustion chambers.
I'll attach a link and you explain to all of us what makes a hemi a hemi.

Thanks

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_02.html
nothing inparticular makes me an expert on combustion chambers. I'll explain it for you though, since the link you posted has most of what you need to see the difference.

the first picture is a hemispherical combustion chamber. you can tell this, because it's round. Notice, that it is round, completely round and shaped like a hemisphere.

This is the picture from your link that shows the combustion chamber in the new "hemi". It is round-ish, but not completely round. That makes it a polyspherical combustion chamber. It's not something that is new by any sorts, as chrysler has been doing it I think since the '50s. The reason then for making the poly chamber, was cost savings.

You can read more about it on wikipedia, they have a pretty good explanation of it there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi_engine

Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 AM
93 Notch
1st Gear Member

it lost to the toyota tacoma in a tug a war.
In other news my one uncle swears by dodge, hes had 3, bought 2 of them new and one of them used.
Hes got a 1500 4x4 it gets crap gas mileage, but its reliable.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Most importantly the valve are opposed and does not shroud the air flow. When a valve opens up into the middle of a bore air flows completely around it.
On engines with all the valves in one straight row. Air flow near the cylinder walls does not flow as well.

The reason for the slight shape difference between new and old Dodge Hemi is compression ratio.

The 426 did it with monster domed pistons. The new gen Hemi had to reduce the combustion chamber volume to achieve the compression ratio without using moster domes.