General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please help: Steeda Quadrant adjuster / firewall

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:55 PM
InNeedOfHelp

Default Please help: Steeda Quadrant adjuster / firewall

Hey, I'm new to the forums, been reading them for a while but just created an acct.

I just bought an 02 Mustang GT a few months ago, and started to notice a problem when shifting. This is my first manual car, so didn't notice it until I drove some other cars and then read these forums to verify that it wasn't normal.

I have to press the clutch pedal All the way in to get the clutch to disengage soI can shift gears, and then if I lift up like maybe an inch, if even - it starts to engage the clutch. I'm not very car savvy, still trying to learn, so might have terms reversed. But basically press clutch to floor, change gears, then when I let up on the clutch just a little bit the RPMs start to drop if I don't start to give it gas.

I learned from these forums that more than likely, its the clutch cable.

I read online and had similiar symptoms of a bad clutch cable. Such as the clutch pedal rattling and hearing a noise under the dash which was suppose to mean a loose cable. I did the pull up on clutch pedal thing and it clicked, and helped for about a month, then got bad again.

So I bought the Steeda Quadrant with firewall adjuster, and the adjustable cable. I didn't want to risk messing anything up, so I brought it to a ford dealership to have certified ford mechanics put it in for me. They realized I didn't know much about cars, and I think they screwed me.

They charged me $170 when they quoted me $90. Didn't tell me my car was done until the service place was already closed.

While driving home I didn't notice much of a differance than before I brought it to them. Feels exactly the same.

Looked at some pictures on here of ppl's steedas set up then crawled under my dash and matched the pictures up..

I found the quadrant, attached a picture, mine is silver though. But other than that looks the same.

I don't know where to look for the firewall adjuster. Found the quadrant after about 30 minutes of comparing diagrams.

Where is the thing I adjust so it engages in the right spot, and do I need a mechanic to do it, or is it some thing I can just do with my hand or some tool?

I'll try to get a picture of under my dash if that helps at all

[IMG]local://upfiles/98326/7FFCA62841A045CA9A80E7EB9CD4823C.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 PM
InNeedOfHelp

Default RE: Please help: Steeda Quadrant adjuster / firewall

http://www.steeda.com/products/clutch_adjuster_kits.phpis what I have, except I believe my **** thing is Red not blue
Old 05-25-2008, 01:37 AM
InNeedOfHelp

Well after finding pictures online. I'm pretty sure the ford dealership is just trying to screw me. Cause they didn't install the firewall adjuster, and I'm almost 100% possitive they didn't change out the clutch cable either. I wish I paid more attention to what the 1 I gave them looked like, but the 1 in there near the side of where it goes in, is covered in dust pretty bad like the rest of my engine. They just whiped the top part thats in plain view clean so it'd look new. Not even sure if they changed out the quadrant or if I already had 1 in there, I bought this car used at 70k miles.

Sucks when dealerships take advantage of you because you don't know much about mechanic work. Gonna go by there with my First Sgt and see if I can get this whole thing handled.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:25 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

why would you pay someone to install a cable and quadrant? i installed the same steeda items you installed in about 30 min and im not a certified ford mechanic. id say that ford is giving it to you up the ***.

as for the clutch cable, i broke my steeda cable in 9 months. aftermarket cables suck becausethey are thinner than the stock cable.

modify your stock cable to work with the firewall adjuster and you should be all good. its been working for me so far.

PM me if you want pics.