General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shaking steering wheel..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 06:47 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Default Shaking steering wheel..

I had a leak in my front passenger tire and squirted some of that green slime stuff in there to plug the leak. I shook the tire around and everything, but I was unable to drive the car once I put the wheel back onto the car (long, single lane driveway, with a few cars in the way.. didn't want to move them all), so I'm assuming what happened was the slime settled on the bottom of the tire and got hard down there. Anyway, what happens now is when I get above about 50 MPH (but sometimes even lower, like at about 35+ mph), the steering wheel shakes violently. My front end and everything ought to be aligned properly so I assume this shaking has to do with the (fixed) tire.
However, I'd like to make it stop, as it's pretty annoying and makes ya kind of scared when it happens. Any suggestions???
Old 05-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Shaking steering wheel..

I'd never use that stuff to plug a leak. It'll ALWAYS come back to haunt you.

It messed up the balance on your wheel and now you have to have the tire taken off, clean all the crap off your wheel and think about getting a new tire.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:06 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

I didn't want to use the stuff to plug the leak.. I couldn't FIND the leak, though. I squirted water EVERYWHERE on my tire and couldn't find any air bubbles; spent like 30 minutes squirting water all over the place. By the time I was done my tire was soaking wet and still leaking at an alarming rate. Figured the slime stuff would fix it so that I could drive enough to go back to college.. (was home for the weekend)

Well, I guess I'll have to get all of this straightened out once finals are done and just deal with the shaking for now
Old 05-03-2005, 02:03 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

The big problem now is the tire it garbage, tire places will not touch it with that crap in there. It doesn't come off lol, they will trash your tire and sell you another one. I carry a plug kit in the car for emergencies like that, but when you can't find the leak not much you can do. Seriously though, they will not patch that tire now, cleaning it being the big issue but something about the stuff won't let the patch adhere to the tire correctly and it will leak again. So I never use the stuff, got popped once thats all it takes lol.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:15 AM
00GT00
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: birdman076

The big problem now is the tire it garbage, tire places will not touch it with that crap in there. It doesn't come off lol, they will trash your tire and sell you another one. I carry a plug kit in the car for emergencies like that, but when you can't find the leak not much you can do. Seriously though, they will not patch that tire now, cleaning it being the big issue but something about the stuff won't let the patch adhere to the tire correctly and it will leak again. So I never use the stuff, got popped once thats all it takes lol.

Yeah what he said! I would never use that stuff on a tubeless tire. [sm=smiley19.gif]
Old 05-03-2005, 11:29 AM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

omg the ppl at discount tire hate it when you use that fix a flat junk. its a bish to get off ya know?
i would say your tire is really out of balance now.
take your tire somewhere to have it repaired the right waya nd have them re-balance it. you should be good to go then.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
titan aresta

ORIGINAL: birdman076

That's BS. (i'm not saying you're lying, just that the tire places are being lazy)

In most cases it is quite posible to patch a tire after the canned stuff was used. Just make sure to tell the tire guys that you used the canned seal stuff. They won't be happy to work on it, but they should be able to give it a try.
Heck, you don't know why the tire is loosing air in the first place. It might not be punctured, it might be the valve, it might be leaking around the rim, etc. Take it to a good shop and see.

That being said, be prepared if the tire is not repareable. Not everything can be fixed.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

the problem is that the gas they use in those fix it kits is flammable and it can cause problems when the tire is on the mounting machine....there is a possibility of a small explosion. It's not real common but there can be a real loud bang and the tire can pop off the rim violently so a the tire places don't want to touch it because of insurance and potential risks to their employees.

Just tell them to remove the center from the valvestem and let all the air out of the tire before it goes on the machine and there won't be any problems.

You can clean the crap out of there and the tire will be fine.

If you are looking for a leak on a tire use SOAPY water.....clean water wont tell you much unless you actually submerge the tire in the water and look for bubbles.

Also, it says right on the can of that fix it crap that you are supposed to drive with it immediately after putting it in so it goes all the way around the tire. You are lucky it even patched the leak at all......that tells me that the leak was on the bottom of the tire and maybe that's why you couldn't find it.