General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mechanic Problems, please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
CHVYKLR Stang

Default Mechanic Problems, please help

I have a early model mustang that I brought to a race shop tohavehim put a set of Roush heads on my351W. The guy didn't match the inner valve springs to the cam so eventually they were all crushed which obviously sent metal through out my engine which I think is what caused my oil pump to fail. The guy that did all this closed up shop because of health reasons so I wrote this off as a bad experience and moved on.

Here's the really bad part. I was driving down the freeway and wasn't looking at my oil gauge whenthe oil pumpfailed so I drove a couple miles with no oil pressure. I knew it had to be rebuilt after that and had a different race shop give me an estimate, I agreed to have them rebuild it in August of '07. That's whenthe crushed inner valve springs were discovered.

I toldthe shop that I had limited funds, I didn't want him to think it was an open check book.Hehad one of his employee's work on it and as soon as I got the car back it smoked. I called him on my way home and he said I had to drive it a 1000 miles to set the rings. He eventually looked at my car again in January and he told me the rings were bad. He R&R the engine, turned the crank, did a valve job, honed the cylinders but USED THE OLD RINGS. He said I told him only to fix what needed fixing (which I didn't) and that he wasn't going to warranty any work. I paid him $4,230 for this headache.

My question is if you have an engine that had metal pumped through outit and had an oil pump that failed, why would you NOT repalce the rings (especially ifyou hone the cylinders)?

It was a couple years between the Roush heads being installed and the oil pump failing. In that time I brought my car to himnumerous times to have diagnose my car because I knew it wasn't running right. Everytime he adjusted some things and he said it ran good but it never did run right (I'm sure it was the inner valve springs). I also had him change the gears in the rearend, install new exhaust and a few other items so I spent alot of money there prior to this experience.

Please give me your opinion.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Default RE: Mechanic Problems, please help

Find a different Mechanic and stop letting people push you around. You should have brought up legal actions both of those times.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
daville_pits

Default RE: Mechanic Problems, please help

to be honest with you i think you have to be the most dumbest person on here. i cant believe you paid 4230 for someone to work on a engine lol lol lol. anyways find somebody that works on car and know what their doing "ase" cert. is what you want not "F&F" which mean you ****ed it up we **** it up more. lol good luck