General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

hydrogen generator

Old 06-29-2008, 08:07 PM
samsonhusky
2nd Gear Member

Default hydrogen generator

Has anyone tried a hydrogen generator on there car and if so does it help your mpg. My brother knows someone that has one hooked up to a lawnmower 5 horsepower, and is running it with straight hydrogen no gas.I know there's a big difference between a pushmower and a car but if the mower is running on just hydrogen I'm thinkingthat maybe a kit cold help with mpg
Old 06-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hydrogen generator

Another "friend of a friend" story.

Right now it takes more energy to make hydrogen than it gives back.So being able to run anything on self-sustaining electrolysed hydrogen is impossible.
There are kits available that add hydrogen and oxygen to the intake air but the same laws still apply.It takes more energy to break the molecular bonds of water than is returned as heat energy to run the engine.
More snake oil that turns up every time gasoline prices rise.These things came out in the seventies too.They didn't work then either.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 AM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

my dad wants to put it in my truck, its not gonna be so that it only runs on gas, its just gonna not use completely gas..
Old 06-30-2008, 11:40 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Another "friend of a friend" story.

Right now it takes more energy to make hydrogen than it gives back.So being able to run anything on self-sustaining electrolysed hydrogen is impossible.
There are kits available that add hydrogen and oxygen to the intake air but the same laws still apply.It takes more energy to break the molecular bonds of water than is returned as heat energy to run the engine.
More snake oil that turns up every time gasoline prices rise.These things came out in the seventies too.They didn't work then either.
thank you thank you thank you. you may in fact be one of the smartest people on this site.

ok, i want EVERYONE to look at this thread
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81546

we discussed this at length there.
a few highlights:
[ul][*]producing hydrogen from water and combusting it is a cyclic process and can NEVER produce net power[*]hydrogen does NOT affect efficiency of gas burn, its own energy of combustion is high enough to supply power to the engine[*]the hydrogen producing contraptions out there produce hydrogen on a level that is somewhere around atmospheric levels anyways for a motor turning anything over 1000rpm less than .1% or 1/1000 (look toward the end for this calculation) and is therefore a joke[*]any "results" people are seeing are completely unreliable, and probably inflated by these "believers" in a similar manner as a newbie with a "20hp cai" will inflate his hp numbers. "um yeah, i put a catback and a CAI on it, so it probably went from 260hp to around 300rwhp" (admit it, you have all seen this posted on here)[*]any tests run that HAVE seen good results do not use a gasoline engine. the most common is a modified 454 built to handle the strain of a hot hydrogen burn. they also use hydrogen from tanks in the lab and inject mixtures upwards of 20%, which will never be made using a bucket of water attached to your battery. besides, IF you got to 20% you would melt your pistons.[/ul]
Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
samsonhusky
2nd Gear Member

Have you ever tried 20% hydrogen and melted your piston if not how do you know. I want to know if anyone has tried hydrogen on their car i've seen someone make it first hand, it wasn't much but he did make it from a home made kit. I know rust could be trouble so they say you have to have stainless still valves and exhuast.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

have you ever sprayed straight nitrous into your engine without compensating with fuel? neither have i, but i know that will burn a piston or 8 too.

lemme break it down
[ul][*]hydrogen burns hotter than gas[*]gas has the ability to burn hot enough to melt pistons if its mixture is lean, the rich mixtures serve, not to idealize the fuel burn, but to keep it cool enough to allow the engine to continue working[/ul]

I took these points, and was able to put 2 and 2 together. a 20% mixture is enough to cause this, especially when you think its going to SAVE gas... you would need extra gas to keep this sucker cool. this is why, as i pointed out, the engines being tested are modified and are also running natural gas a fuel, not gasoline (there is a link in the thread i posted)

you need to read that thread.... which u must not have, or at least didnt read carefully.

hydrogen gas will not rust your motor. it is already reduced (the reduced form of water).... meaning the only reaction it can undergo is oxidation. you cannot oxidize metal with a reducing agent. i posted about this as well giving the redox potentials of the compounds and a brief explanation.

and making it is not a problem. its done in chemistry labs in highschools across the country everyday. but let me repeat myself:
its a cyclic process:
this means that you are taking water, passing a current through it to separate it into 1 part oxygen gas (o2) and 2 parts hydrogen gas (h2). you then combust it. combustion is a fancy name for reaction with oxygen. it then forms h2o releasing energy in the process. we know, because we arent retarded, that no process is 100% efficient. so this burn cannot release as much energy as it took to separate the elements to begin with.
we go h20 -> h2 + o2 -> h2o, this MUST be associated with a net loss in energy.

those who have seen better fuel economy like the study listed in my linkare not making hydrogen from water but are using large tanks in the lab, and measuring efficiency without the cost of creating the hydrogen. if hydrogen was produced and used in large ammounts by this process, the gas motor would expend energy creating the current via the alternator to separate hydrogen and oxygen, it would then recieve a smaller ammount of energy back during the combustion, and so on. you would end up hurting fuel economy. its good for these schmucks that these contraptions dont make **** for hydrogen or they would all be pissing money away bigtime
Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Try Googling "hydrogen generator scam" and see what comes up.