General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

rear tires lock up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:02 PM
n1netyn1ne
1st Gear Member

Default rear tires lock up?

Ok something weird happened today... almost caused a horrible accident..

I was driving about 34 mph in 3rd gear andI started to hear a howeling sound? Coming from the rear or backseat area?... SeemswhenI stepped on the gas the engine responded but the trans or something in thedrive tran didnt keep up and must have locked up my reartires or something...as they screeched on the road..and swung the rear end out... (by this time i had it out of gear and back in neutral..and was able to pull right into an empty parking spot.) luckily there was noone behind me or next to me...or I would have totaled this thing instantly...

weird thing is i checked everything out after it happened and all gears still work.. but the rear end is still making a humming sound in gear...

Clutch is 4 months old...

.. I think the differential is toasted..or my transmission is going out the window...

...I noticed there is a nice black oil spot where i park it ... its right below the where the rear differential would sit....

..My guess is that when i took it out...it was probably empty/really low diff. gear fluid? or worn driveshaft supports?.. tranmission mount??

Ughhh... any incite..anyone?? damn machanic is closed this whole week for the 4th...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM
92stangerang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: rear tires lock up?

sounds like rearend to me. it probably chipped a tooth on one of the gears then making the tires lock up. is it drivable now? i would just take the diff cover off and take a look. wear some gloves and have a catch pan ready.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: n1netyn1ne
.. (by this time i had it out of gear and back in neutral..and was able to pull right into an empty parking spot.)
This makes me think your problem is the transmission.

I don't suppose you accidentally engaged 1st gear?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 PM
n1netyn1ne
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure... it was in 3rd andIwasnt pressing on the accelerator... so it was slowing down the car... thenI get back on the gas alittle bit and thats when it all happened... the engine responded but drive tran didnt seem to as normal..

Its bearly drivable ....rear end is noisy... and i dont think i want to risk this happening again...
Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

yea, sounds like a diff to me. You said it had an oil spot where the rear end sits. Sounds like it finally went dry and locked up on you.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a diff to me to.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
khooper

if it is really a rear tire lock up problem then you must check and try bleeding the brakes all the way around the car. Check to make sure that the brake is not dragging.