General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Financing a car

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default Financing a car

Alright, im not the best at this kind of stuff. But im looking at getting a nice 5.0 just to drive back and fourth to work. Ive already got two others, a 88 notch thats being painted, and a 86' hatch thats got a turbo 302 going into it. But im just wanting a nice stockish mustang. Im wanting to finance it so i can keep the cash i got for the 85's project. But heres my problem. All the finance companies ive talked to only lend money based on kelly bluebook. The car im looking at is $9,000, its had about $20,000 invested in completely restoring it, with power everything, its a 92' LX hatch with a carb'd 351W in it with Trick Flow heads, tremec tranny, etc. Its a total cherry. But my finance company ran the bluebook at $1,700, obviously im not talking him down that much. But is there anyway i can get financing on this car without this little hurdle, maybe like a personal loan or something. Ive got excellent credit. So thats not a prob.

Thanks for your help.

Matt.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Financing a car

If you have any other colateral you can use it when applying for the new loan.The titles for the other two cars come immediately to mind.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 PM
67mater
1st Gear Member

I would think twice about the disparity. I know the cars been well done but doesn't sound like the "DD" you're lookign to get, especially with 2 other toys. Just be sure on reliability before you set it up as a daily driver.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Mikes5.0

If this car is a must you can get a personnal loan instead of a auto loan depending on your credit. The interest rate is a little higher but you can save that money on insurance, when you get an auto loan the bank will make you get full collision on the car but when you have a personnal loan you only need basic liability, use caution.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

NEVER finance through dealerships or credit s, always use big banks like Wells Fargo for a personal loan. The interest rates are astonishingly lower, and you save money compared to any other financing. Car dealers and credit s offer financing so they can make as much interest as they can get away with.

Sounds like that fox isnt your best bet with a DD
Old 07-03-2008, 07:27 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

If you have any other colateral you can use it when applying for the new loan.The titles for the other two cars come immediately to mind.
Not really wanting to 'hock' my other two cars to get one more. I may not even get another mustang. But i would like to have this one, it is really nice, ive been to see it in person now and i can tell ya', this guy didnt spare any exspense. He had a HUGE house and obviously money isnt an issue to him.

I would think twice about the disparity. I know the cars been well done but doesn't sound like the "DD" you're lookign to get, especially with 2 other toys. Just be sure on reliability before you set it up as a daily driver.

Its not going to be strictly a daily driver. I still have my V6 explorer that i keep well maintained and my wifes Kia. So its not my only means of transportation. But i just want something a little more flashy (ego kicking in i guess) to drive to work and home.

NEVER finance through dealerships or credit s, always use big banks like Wells Fargo for a personal loan. The interest rates are astonishingly lower, and you save money compared to any other financing. Car dealers and credit s offer financing so they can make as much interest as they can get away with.

Sounds like that fox isnt your best bet with a DD
Ive heard that also, thats why i brought up the personal loan thing, thanks man. I appreciate the advice.