General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:08 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Default Brakes

I have a 2000 Mustang V6. I just replaced my front brake pads about a month ago and had no problems with them until about a week ago. I noticed it when I was backing up. When you back the car up and hit the brakes, they click, but only once. Then when you go forward again then hit the brake it makes another click, again only once. I have no idea what the problem is. I also just realized that when I am going between the speeds of 5-12 mph you can hear a higher pitched sqealing noise in the front brakes. Don't know if these two problems are related or if they are different. But any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't have to money to get all this stuff checked out. I also have realized that both of these things happen after the car/brakes have been warmed up, neither of these two things happen when you first start driving the car. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brakes

There is an anti-rattle spring that fits into the caliper directly above the brake piston.It's a flat spring not a coil type spring.If this spring is not there this is what is causing your trouble.The squealing could be there's not enough anti squeal compound on the backs of the pads.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

they shouldn't be clicking but the squeeling is fairly common after a brake job....sometimes they don't clean them out well enough or the new pads don't seat exactly with the machined rotors. Sometimes they machine the rotors so much that they are still within specs but the caliper doesn't automatically adjust to the thickness properly.

Hit the brakes HARD a couple of times (on an open road of course, with nobody behind you) and see if there is any fade or if it feels "normal". Maybe try going to the carwash and spraying a good jet of water around in there and then go give her the binders a few times.

Maybe just go complain to the dude who did it.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:56 PM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

Also what brand brake pad are you running.

Matt
Old 05-05-2005, 06:53 PM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Well if that spring you are talking about is not there...will it hurt anything if I keep driving it like it is, or would I really need to get it replaced/fixed. Now the squeeling is not like the normal brake squeeling I have heard when I hit my brakes during normal stopping conditions. The squeeling/whining noise I have between the speeds of 5-12 mph is different. I listened for it today when I was driving around my apartment complex and it has actually gotten different/worse since yesterday. I will try hitting the brakes hard a few times next time I drive it down the road. But I am not sure if that's the problem with them, because it really doesn't seem like the same squeeling noise. Thanks for the help...
Old 05-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: stngman00

Well if that spring you are talking about is not there...will it hurt anything if I keep driving it like it is, or would I really need to get it replaced/fixed. Now the squeeling is not like the normal brake squeeling I have heard when I hit my brakes during normal stopping conditions. The squeeling/whining noise I have between the speeds of 5-12 mph is different. I listened for it today when I was driving around my apartment complex and it has actually gotten different/worse since yesterday. I will try hitting the brakes hard a few times next time I drive it down the road. But I am not sure if that's the problem with them, because it really doesn't seem like the same squeeling noise. Thanks for the help...
I don't believe the front brakes have any kind of tension spring (trying to remember from when I did my front brakes) But there are some clips (metal guides) that go on the caliper and the pads slide into. What I will say is that if you used pads that did not have the shims riveted to the back, the shims could slide off the pad and hit the rotor causing noise. The heat from the friction will cause the adhesive that holds the shim to melt.

If you used glue on shims, my guess is if you take off the tires you will find one of the shims in the back of the caliper has slid off and is hitting the rotor.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:51 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Just wanted to give an update on the squeeling/whining noise. It now happens all the time until I go faster than 12 mph. But doesn't matter if the car is cold or hot, happens all the time now..and the noise has gotten a bit worse as well. Not sure what is happening here. Any more help would be appreciated...thanks.

Mike
Old 05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Took my car into the shop today to get this problem looked at. Thirty minutes after I drop it off saying that the piston was getting stuck in the calibers causing the clicking noise when I back up and go forward again and due the the pistons messing up it messed up my brake pads, and do the the pads getting messed up and causing a ton of heat it warped my rotors. After telling me everything that is wrong and that they have to replace they tell me it's going to cost me $750 [:@]. So if anyone ever starts getting these problems take it in quick you might be able to cut down on some of the costs the quicker you get it in. But thanks for your help guys.

Mike
Old 05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

750$ is alot for a brake job even if the caplipers need replacing. If you are not up to doing it yourself do you have a friend that owes you some "buddy time". I helped a friend do a brake job a few months back. The shop he took it to wanted 110$ apeice for rotors. We got two a part store for 96$. The funny thing is the part store was joined to the brake shop. Same building.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

I already had them fix my brakes and everything so I have already paid for it...I was tired of messing with everything. But it did fix the clicking noise that they were making. But I still have the whining/high pitched noise. So I took it back after I drove it around and they said that it might be the transmission I was like **** what else could go wrong...[:@] They just told me to let the brakes break in and if it's still making the noise in 500 miles to come back and they would check it out. But oh well, we will see what happens.