General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shifter boot

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default Shifter boot

OK. Acer and I installed my steeda tri-ax shifter. Everything is good with it now, except it gets really hot. My boy there told me to just throw it out cause I don't need it. However, I was doing some hefty driving last night and it was getting REALLY hot around the shifter and the side panels next to it. My question is, should I get a new boot and put it on or is it still fine? I don't want that heat to mess anything up in the car. It's not burning hot or anything, but it's hot. My speed cal is in there and I don't want that to get damaged either. The speed cal was another reason not to put the boot back on.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:27 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Shifter boot

Mine doesn't get hot dude. It kinda gets warm but it never get HOT. I put the boot back on after the fact to keep noise down but I doubt it would help with the heat.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:48 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

well it didn't get this hot until i changed out the shifter, which obviously was the same time i didn't put the boot back on. it's not hot to the point where it burns you. usually on a normal drive it doesn't get very hot at all. gets warm. if i'm driving for awhile though, that's when it starts to heat up.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:21 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

heh.. does anybody have a shifter boot laying around anywhere for a 99+ GT they don't need?

hrmm.. probably should clarify, i think i really mean the silencer thing. i'm not sure what it's called exactly. one guy told me it was the boot. looking at the shizzle now, the boot is something else. oh well. so yeah..
Old 05-06-2005, 01:49 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

you mean the round rubber thing that gets stretched around the bottom of the shifter right dude?

Somebody ought to have one. They don't fit over the base of the tri-ax very well because it's a little bigger than stock and a different shape.

It's normal for the billet shifters to get warm....It's aluminum and it's bolted right to the trans so as your trans gets warm, the aluminum is going to conduct that heat.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Cumstang02
1st Gear Member

Are you sure your not feeling some of the heat coming from the engine conpartment. That peices real function is to cut down on road noise.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:52 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

you mean the round rubber thing that gets stretched around the bottom of the shifter right dude?

Somebody ought to have one. They don't fit over the base of the tri-ax very well because it's a little bigger than stock and a different shape.

It's normal for the billet shifters to get warm....It's aluminum and it's bolted right to the trans so as your trans gets warm, the aluminum is going to conduct that heat.
i don't have to worry then? it's not going to mess anything up? yeah, we couldn't get it back on because the shifter was too big, and the speedcal wires were in the way being a pain.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

when I put my tri-ax on I kinda ripped that silencer cause it was a stretch, but I haven't noticed heat from the shifter. I get heat from the firewall sometimes, by my feet though.