General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

pypes exhaust rant.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:56 AM
gofastbobby
1st Gear Member

Default pypes exhaust rant.

just installed the pypes xpipe i got from summit racing. what a piece.

somewhere along the lines the xpipe was dropped, both ball flanges were dented to the point that there was no possible way of it to seal. luckily for me, i cut those off to run bullet mufflers dumped before the axle. if someone was running a catback with this xpipe in this condition, they wouldve been screwed.

after the stock hpipe was out we started fitting up the drivers side. with the bolts torqued down all the way, the flange bottoms out on the manifold studs, the pipe is dangling loose with 1/4inch gap at the ball flange. so with this we fabbed up a spacer to clamp the pipe to the flange properly.

passenger side required a good amount of work with a file to get the burrs off so the flange would sit flat on the manifold.

once both downpipes were repaired and loosely installed we tossed the xpipe into place. something wasnt fitting right. messed around for a couple minutes and found out that the downpipe on the drivers side was 1/2 to 3/4' lower than the passenger side. whatever.

by now i just want the damn thing done cause its almost daylight. we finish bending the pipe and lining up the bullets, the turndowns, and tack everything in place. drop it down, and weld it up.

thank God the car sounds good.

sorry for the rant, but i had to share my pain. for you guys that are working on you garage floor, stay away from this company.

after i get some sleep i am going to call and talk with their customer service department, and talk with them.

bob
Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM
V8SilverGT

Default RE: pypes exhaust rant.

Anyone have anything like this going on with the Pypes Cat Back system for the 99-04 GT's? Thinking of getting one shortly.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

We bought an exhaust system for my son's 02 Mustang, what a POS the Pypes product is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanger welds falling off......fitment issues......etc. Thier customer service was useless. Ended up taking it to a local Midas to have the hanger welds redone to make sure the other side didn't fall off while on the road. I have a JBA exhaust end-to-end on my 67 fastback, the product quality is night and day!

Stay away from Pypes products or you will regret it.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

It's very interesting to hear of your troubles, because I just installed a high flow Catted X from Pypes this weekend and couldn't be more pleased. Had zero issues with fitting, everything bolted up properly the first time, and thecompany has given me no problems.

I think if your kit was dropped, you should be slamming your shipping company, not Pypes.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 AM
88_LX
2nd Gear Member

my dad has the pypes shorty x pipe and the pypes cat back and he had no prblems at all
Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 PM
20GT02

I had a pypes o/r x on my 98 GT, fitment was fine and the sound was pretty compareable to other brands. Only reason why Im running a UPR on my 02 is I got a really good deal on it with some coupons from ebay... . IMO, I would talk to the shipper about damages due to the fact that the exhaust is shipped loosely in a large box and could have been carelessly tossed around...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:34 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

this isnt the first thread that ive readabout pypes poor quality.

im staying away.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:39 PM
brian_jones110
1st Gear Member

i bought the pypes mid muffler system and it came in yesterday, im taking it to asho[ to be put on monday. I was gonna do it myself but i dont have much experiance and i figured if i ran into any fitment iddues id be f***ed, im sure the shop will be able to handle it though.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

I've had my Pypes setup on for 60,000+ miles.

My guys said there were no problems with installation.

The clamps are still holding.

I did manage to break a hanger weld, but there is so much vibration I'm surprised it didn't break sooner. It broke at "highway speeds"... LOL

No complaints from me.

I also ordered from the factory, not from a "discount" warehouse.

Thats where everyone seems to have the trouble...
Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 AM
gofastbobby
1st Gear Member

i am glad to hear that you guys got lucky with a proper fitting pipe. i just hope that no one ever has to deal with their customer service, cause it is flat out ****ty. i hope you guys continue to have good luck with them, i think it's terrible to have a company not stand behind the product they sell. as for me, i learned my lesson with a cheap xpipe.

Quick Reply: pypes exhaust rant.