General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lowering my 02 GT CONVERTIBLE !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:16 PM
02willdo

Default lowering my 02 GT CONVERTIBLE !!!!!!!!

what are the best springs to go with ?? and the most i can drop this car to ??
i would like to drop it 2" front and 1.8" at back ??
please let me know if it's done on a GT CONVERTIBLE !!!!
please help me as i am not getting any good answers from dealer !!!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:10 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: lowering my 02 GT CONVERTIBLE !!!!!!!!

I am eventually going to lower my convertible. I have a 97 GT with the 03 Cobra wheels on it and dont want any rubbing issues. I only want to throw it down about 1.5 inches or so. It seems like everyone has said that their vert looked like it sat lower in the rear with drops. I think I may pay the extra $$ and just get coil overs to make sure I can set them the way I want them.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:45 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

My 96 GT had 1.5" Saleen springs. The drop was perfect and blanced. You could also look into Steeda and Eibach. Both are high quality products. Watch out with dropping the vehicle 2" or more. Some people have had major problems with the ebrake assembly rubbing the drive shaft. You should be fine but, just check it all out before you do it to prevent future suprises .
Old 05-06-2005, 04:04 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

A good, general idea, if you want to keep it simple, is to keep the drop to a maximum of 1.5" and you won't run into many real issues except maybe a little bit of bump steer.

2" is a big difference because you get into the territory of needing caster/camber plates, new shocks & struts, bump steer kit, etc, etc.

I have BBK progressive rate 1.5" lowering springs in mine and it's plenty low.....speedbumps sometimes hit the bottom of my car.

You might be saying that it's only another half an inch and that's true but the front end geometry of a car is fairly complex and when you start changing the relationship of one part to another, the total of two inches is alot for the mustangs to deal with. However, they seem happy enough with an inch and a half. Go figure.

MAKE SURE YOU GET PROGRESSIVE RATE SPRINGS.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I have a '98 GT vert and went with the Steeda sport springs and changed my struts and shocks at the same time since the suspension was all apart anyway. If you have someone do the labor, you don't have to pay for basically the same labor twice. I think the Steeda's lowered my car about 1 1/4" or maybe a llittle more. No problems with needing caster/chamber plates, bumpsteer kti, etc. if you stay at 1 1/2" or less lowering. If over that you have to invest in many other parts to get the suspension geometry back in line. If you want to see what my GT vert looks like lowered, go to:

https://mustangforums.com/photosearc...filter=&page=1.

I have a few different angles for you to get a good idea of what the lowering does to the vert. Steeda puts a nice rear to front rake on the car also. Great handling with new springs and shocks. I went with the Tokico blue sport set struts & shocks with KYB quads. I also added the Ford Racing upper rear control arms http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M5500A+01 which I noticed a difference with. Keeps your rearend tighter.

Good luck with your Stang!
Old 05-07-2005, 02:53 AM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

I highly recommend H&R sport springs.

Matt
Old 05-07-2005, 03:12 AM
JamesSocal
2nd Gear Member

I have the Eibach Prokit with no isolators on mine. Check out the link in my sig for pics and see if thats something you like. If you want lower I would suggest the H&R springs due to eibach not offering the spotlines for a vert (I know people have used them anyways though).
Old 05-07-2005, 03:12 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Deanostang......thats what I am looking for! How much were those springs? Man, if I could throw on a set of nice springs w/o all the other stuff, I could do it alot sooner. I had heard many things about how springs looked on the vert, but those look great!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:38 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: JamesSocal

I have the Eibach Prokit with no isolators on mine. Check out the link in my sig for pics and see if thats something you like. If you want lower I would suggest the H&R springs due to eibach not offering the spotlines for a vert (I know people have used them anyways though).
your drop with those deep dish rears looks really hot! [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 05-07-2005, 03:49 AM
JamesSocal
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

ORIGINAL: JamesSocal

your drop with those deep dish rears looks really hot! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Thanks

Quick Reply: lowering my 02 GT CONVERTIBLE !!!!!!!!