General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is N2O really as good as it seems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 11:15 AM
EmericaSkater

Default Is N2O really as good as it seems?

i was wondering is N2O really good? like in video games like need for speed underground 1 & 2, N2O makes a real difference is this true or is the EA sports(i think thats who makes it) just trying to make the game more fun?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:26 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is N2O really as good as it seems?

A Nitrous setup, especially a highend multi-stage design that's used on an engine that's specifically built to take full advantage of it, can have a HUGE performance impact. It can in cases add a couple HUNDRED extra horsepower to the engine output.

A basic bolton addon kit to a basically stock engine will also be felt and offers great performance for the money spent (it's the cheapest horspower/dollar thing you can do to yor car!) But don't expect your neck to snap back when you hit the button.

I helped a friend add a fogger system to his Camaro a few years ago. It was a basic +75hp kit, but BOY it sure was a lot of fun to play with!

The movies always exagerates everything, like in the F&F series. The biggest stupid thing they "hint" is that NOS will belch fire from the exhaust,,, NOT! Nitrous oxide in itself DOES NOT BURN. It "promotes burning".
Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Yes, nitrous IS very good. But like Grey said, most of the things they protrait in video games and movies are very fake.
It doesn't make everything all blurry, or as he said shoot fire out your exhaust. But something as small as a 75 shot, would wake the car RIGHT up.
Your rear wheel torque will skyrocket to about 100ft/lbs. HP Gains of around 65rwhp.
Not to mention your exhaust note gets considerably louder as well.
But there are a lot of misconceptions about the giggle gas. So don't believe everything you here.
The majority of horror stories you hear are from people not running their setup as directed.
But, if you do go the nitrous route.
ALWAYS get a tune, DONT run fuel where it's not supposed to go(thru the intake manifold), and read up as much as you can about the stuff.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Whoa

Doesn't nitrous destroy your motor quite quickly though?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:58 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Whoa

ONLY IF ITS NOT BUILT FOR IT ,,AND YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING ...ITS A BLAST ..I CANT RUN WITHOUT IT ..when i do my car feels so slow[&o]
Old 05-07-2005, 02:55 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

lol nah
Old 05-07-2005, 03:11 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Actually in some cases nitrous can be GOOD for an engine, as it cools the intake charge temperature (liquid nitrous cools as it expands to a gas). Nitrous is only used at wide open throttle, and in bursts only. A typical 10 pound bottle of nitrous will last for about 10 passes down the 1/4 mile (1 lb used per pass). That is for a 75hp kit "used correctly"

The bad thing about nitrous as compared to blowers/turbos/etc/.. is that before you know it the bottle is EMPTY & needs refilling. Check around your area for cost of refilling the bottle before buying a system. This is of course an ongoing expense.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:45 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

S/C's arent going to last forever though. Rebuilding or replacing a supercharger isnt cheap.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:56 PM
EmericaSkater

thanks for the info guys.

Also, is it hard to install your self and once its installed do you need to bring it to a dyno?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:54 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: EmericaSkater

thanks for the info guys.

Also, is it hard to install your self and once its installed do you need to bring it to a dyno?
not to bad just read insturtions reallt good ,,,once installed you dont have to bring to dyno ,,,just make nessary adjustments to timing and fuel ...

Quick Reply: Is N2O really as good as it seems?