General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5 point harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Scrfc69
1st Gear Member

Default 5 point harness

I have a ? about having the 5point harness i want to buy racing seats but whats the point if you dont have the cool harness's. Well the question is what do you need if you would have to do if you installed the harnesses on a 95 mustang ?

Thanks ahead for the advice and answers
Old 07-18-2008, 06:22 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5 point harness

You need a full rollbar to attach the rear straps onto. And, do you REALLY wantthe 5th point "crotch strap"?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

You need a full rollbar to attach the rear straps onto. And, do you REALLY want the 5th point "crotch strap"?
My thouhts exactly. The safety harness to save you during high speeds...but using one in day-to-day traffic would just be a 5-point castrator.[]
Old 07-20-2008, 10:25 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Agree 100% with what was posted. You need a cage or harness bar to mount it right, andmany of the 5 points out there are not DOT legal. So if you get caught wearing it instead of the factory belt - it's just like not wearing anything.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

What they all are saying about needing the proper bar to mount the harness to is 100% correct. First, if you mount the shoulder straps to the floor or back seat area, the resulting downward angle will cause you to break your collar bone or cause severe spinal compression depending on the accident. Second, in the event of a roll over the harness will keep you upright in the seat, allowing the roof to crush your head. Third, as mentioned they are not D.O.T. legal, technically you could be ticketd for using one. A 5 point harness works in conjuction with a total saftey SYSTEM, (roll bar or cage, seat, harness, helmet) take away one part of that system and it ceases to function properly. The only time I would use a 5 point in a car with no belt is maybe in a SCCA cone racer, where the harness would help hold the driver in place, the speeds are pretty slow so there would not be much of a chance for a roll over and there are no other cars on the course to hit you. In this case, or similar, you could run a horizontal bar behind the seat to properly mount the harness.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JD1969
What they all are saying about needing the proper bar to mount the harness to is 100% correct. First, if you mount the shoulder straps to the floor or back seat area, the resulting downward angle will cause you to break your collar bone or cause severe spinal compression depending on the accident. Second, in the event of a roll over the harness will keep you upright in the seat, allowing the roof to crush your head. Third, as mentioned they are not D.O.T. legal, technically you could be ticketd for using one. A 5 point harness works in conjuction with a total saftey SYSTEM, (roll bar or cage, seat, harness, helmet) take away one part of that system and it ceases to function properly. The only time I would use a 5 point in a car with no belt is maybe in a SCCA cone racer, where the harness would help hold the driver in place, the speeds are pretty slow so there would not be much of a chance for a roll over and there are no other cars on the course to hit you. In this case, or similar, you could run a horizontal bar behind the seat to properly mount the harness.
So what would be a better option if a cage was manditory? Install the cage and use the stock seat belts with the cage and new seats?
Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I am not I understand what you are asking, but I will give it a shot. If you have a cage then get the harness, a regular seat can be used most of the time, but a race is a better option.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:58 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you are in a position where you NEED a cage, you probably NEED a harness as well.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:56 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

well i dont nessicarily NEED either, but i want to go ahead and get it out of the way because i will need one, and i figured i might as well upgrade the seats while im at it since my seat mount brackets are broken. However as noted above, another member said that in a normal car crash with a 5 point harness and no helmet or neck brace you will do more damage to yourself than with a standard seat belt. So for street driving what would be the better option if i was to have a cage and a racing seat? To use the 5 point harness and hope i dont break my neck or to use the stock seat belt?