General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Help Concerning my Door

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
hookedonkronik
2nd Gear Member

Default Need Help Concerning my Door

Hello everyone,

I'm having troubles with my driver side door that has gotten progressively worse to the point that it is both embarassing and ridiculous.

When I open my driver side door of my 97 V6 mustang, the door drops a little (maybe 1/4 of an inch) and makes a VERY loud clunk noise just as it opens. I am able to grab the door at the end and lift it up a little to get an idea of where it is loose. From this, it seems like it is loose where the hinge connects to the car at the top hinge.

So, to take off my door, do I just unscrew the 8 bolts connecting the hinges to the car/door? After the bolts are removed, can the door just sit on the ground without unscrewing wires or anything of that sort?

I'd like to do this myself both for the learning experience and to save money I really don't have to give to a mechanic. I'm not tech savvy but i'm willing to listen and learn. Thanks for any tips and advice.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help Concerning my Door

If there are electrical parts like power windows and mirrors there will be wires to disconnect.
You might be able to adjust the top hinge enough to compensate for the wear without removing the entire door.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
hookedonkronik
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help Concerning my Door

There are no power doors or windows, only power mirrors.

How would I go about adjusting the bolts without removing the door? I'm talking about the ones that are attaching the door to the actual car...

The wedge in there is very tight even with the door wide open.