General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Proper use of jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
tombohum
3rd Gear Member

Default Proper use of jack stands

Hey guys. I have decided to try and do regular maintenance/installs on my car myself. It's too expensive to pay somebody $75 each time I need to swap out the o/r x-pipe for emissions[:@]So can you guys tell me the best way to get under my car for such situations? I included a pic of the incline of my driveway. I would feel safer using 4 jack stands as opposed to just 2 but I'm assuming I need a flat surface for that. I just don'tfeel safe under there with just the 2.How do you guys do it? Any good brands of jack stands/ floor jacks that you prefer? Any info would help, thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:57 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Proper use of jack stands

If you're working on the rear of the car, how about getting a couple of those ramps you drive up onto?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
tombohum
3rd Gear Member

I mainly want it for the x-pipe swap so I will need to raise the front.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with 4 jackstands on that driveway but if you are still a little paranoid you could get away with 2 onthe frontand chock the rear wheels for extra insurance. My friend actually built a couple wood stands for his car so that it can sit on the wheels while off the ground or get extra height with jackstands. If you did that you could add a little hump on the back to act as a block for the wheels if you are worried about it rolling off.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I'm not saying it can't be done. Or that I've not done it myself but there is no way I would recommend raising a car and getting underneath when it's on an incline.

Post you location. I'm sure someone, maybe another Mustang enthuasiast, will be willing to help you out.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

If you're working on the rear of the car, how about getting a couple of those ramps you drive up onto?

ramps FTL.

i wouldnt work under a car on an incline. as for the jack stands, just get a set that is good quality. (solid frame, solid welds)
Old 07-21-2008, 06:20 PM
tombohum
3rd Gear Member

OK, so stay away from the incline. What about 2 jackstands as opposed to 4? Would it be better to just get 4 of them? I mean, it would still be stable up on all four right?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
tombohum
3rd Gear Member

that sounds like a good idea.....if I had any clue how to make them[:@]
ORIGINAL: golden_eye

I don't think there's anything wrong with 4 jackstands on that driveway but if you are still a little paranoid you could get away with 2 onthe frontand chock the rear wheels for extra insurance. My friend actually built a couple wood stands for his car so that it can sit on the wheels while off the ground or get extra height with jackstands. If you did that you could add a little hump on the back to act as a block for the wheels if you are worried about it rolling off.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:38 PM
GVM

jackstands + incline = bad
Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 PM
CheesyBeef
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

ramps FTL.

i wouldnt work under a car on an incline. as for the jack stands, just get a set that is good quality. (solid frame, solid welds)
I've never used ramps before but plan to use my dad's sometime soon. Is there something wrong with them or do you prefer jacks?

Quick Reply: Proper use of jack stands