General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Minor HP upgrades...how does it all work...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 AM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Minor HP upgrades...how does it all work...

get a chip, best bang for the buck. unlock about 25 hp without cracking the hood open or spending too much money. SCT Xcal 3 is a good one. also increase gas mileage and great throttle response.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: somdow
since my source of income IS my License,
pizza delivery??
Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

From what I'm reading it doesn't sound like you actually want to go faster. Most of our goals are to actually beat another car or fight the clock.

You are angry at other drivers and want to throttle past them. My advice for this is to get a throatier exhaust system. Magnaflow comes to mind.

It will give you that minor gain in power and the other driver will hear you. I can see where you are coming from somdow. I used to be like that. Someday you will realize we all drive different have patients with other driver's.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 AM
somdow
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sransari

get a chip, best bang for the buck. unlock about 25 hp without cracking the hood open or spending too much money. SCT Xcal 3 is a good one. also increase gas mileage and great throttle response.
lol SRANSARI. im gonna copy your stuff and just add to mine lol

but nah, this chip, what does it do exactly? and how is it different from a tuner???

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

From what I'm reading it doesn't sound like you actually want to go faster. Most of our goals are to actually beat another car or fight the clock.

You are angry at other drivers and want to throttle past them. My advice for this is to get a throatier exhaust system. Magnaflow comes to mind.

It will give you that minor gain in power and the other driver will hear you. I can see where you are coming from somdow. I used to be like that. Someday you will realize we all drive different have patients with other driver's.
ORIGINAL: pete1665

ORIGINAL: somdow
since my source of income IS my License,
pizza delivery??
LOL so true...and no not a pizza DEL guy lol...im a Long distance TRUCK driver so i KNOW how ppl drive...and mainly thats BAD lol. i have patience but when on my car, i like to "throw it around" so ppl can see and hear me lol...but like i said b4, sure i wanna go faster but im more of a pick up guy...realistically, ill NEVER hit top speed in NYC so...

Old 08-02-2008, 08:22 AM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

a chip replaces the stock chip. a tuner reprograms the stock chip. i actually have tuner, but the two terms are often used interchangibly. tuners/chips do lots of stuff...alter air flow ratios, spark timing, etc. you will feel a huge difference.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
HNDA ETR
1st Gear Member

Yeah chips are pretty cool. I have never owned a tuner but the chip I have now has paid for itself in MPG increases. More horsepower, better MPG, and a tune for when the vallet is parking my car so he doesn't beat it like I do. Adds about 20 horsepower to my car when I'm running 93octanein it. All for 300 dollars. Good buy in my opinion
Old 08-02-2008, 10:59 PM
somdow
1st Gear Member

a chip replaces the stock chip. a tuner reprograms the stock chip. i actually have tuner, but the two terms are often used interchangibly. tuners/chips do lots of stuff...alter air flow ratios, spark timing, etc. you will feel a huge difference.
so what your saying is that if i buy a tuner i DONT buy a chip? just program the stock one?

and if the above statement is correct, then what happens when if i buy a chip, it comes pre-programmed? or someone STILL has to "tune" it? and whats better, buying a chip or tuner?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 PM
51derrill

Hi:
The whole goal of a chip or a tuner is to optomize performance. With a chip, a basic high performance"Tune" is programmed into it, and that chip can not be altered. With a tuner, there are usuly three tunes already programmed into it. Onefor 87 Octane one for 91 Octane and one for 93.Each tune has optomized fuel and air flow and timing adjusted. The tuner also retains your stock factory tune so that you can return the car to stock configuration, if returning it to a dealer for service. The practicality of a tuneris emense. You can go back into any of it's pre-programmed tunes and alter about a dozen different paramaters. heading for Vegas, install the 87 tune for best mileage. In my state the highest octane is only 91,install the 91 tune, and your car will run it's best on 91 Octane,it takes minutes. Get to Vegas and find 93 Octane, change your tune! Buy racing fuel at 76, go back in and bump your timing 4 degrees. You will be amazed that you are driving your old car. Back to LA, back to 91 Octane tune. The tuner cost more than a chip, but it can do so much more. As you learn more and more about how your car operates, the more you can do to maximize performance.Hope this helps, and good luck.
Best/ Bill
Old 08-03-2008, 08:27 AM
somdow
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 51derrill

Hi:
The whole goal of a chip or a tuner is to optomize performance. With a chip, a basic high performance"Tune" is programmed into it, and that chip can not be altered. With a tuner, there are usuly three tunes already programmed into it. Onefor 87 Octane one for 91 Octane and one for 93.Each tune has optomized fuel and air flow and timing adjusted. The tuner also retains your stock factory tune so that you can return the car to stock configuration, if returning it to a dealer for service. The practicality of a tuneris emense. You can go back into any of it's pre-programmed tunes and alter about a dozen different paramaters. heading for Vegas, install the 87 tune for best mileage. In my state the highest octane is only 91,install the 91 tune, and your car will run it's best on 91 Octane,it takes minutes. Get to Vegas and find 93 Octane, change your tune! Buy racing fuel at 76, go back in and bump your timing 4 degrees. You will be amazed that you are driving your old car. Back to LA, back to 91 Octane tune. The tuner cost more than a chip, but it can do so much more. As you learn more and more about how your car operates, the more you can do to maximize performance.Hope this helps, and good luck.
Best/ Bill
!!! did you say fuel economy !!!! LOL I so NEED THIS LOL

now from what you are all saying, i think thisll prolly be one of my next upgrades. i guess another ? is, can this TUNER be used on multipe vehicles or only the stang? or does it go by vehicle n model? also aside from fuel economy and based on Sransari last comment,

are all these things pre-programmed into this thing or are all these seperate options that i have to get via download or something???

and also, since someone above said that AMERICAN MUSCLE will tune it for you...can i ALSO do tunes to it?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:54 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Has anyone yet asked (or did I miss it) what year car? Size motor? Tranny? Those are major factors in figuring out what the best next steps should be.

Quick Reply: Minor HP upgrades...how does it all work...